Dark brown or black spots on the lips is a common issue among teens and older citizens. It is mostly contributed by eating habits, modern lifestyles and certain medications. Black or brown spots on lips affect the physical appearance notably, mostly for women. On the brighter side, women have an option of applying lipstick to hide the discoloration.
Causes of Dark Spots on the Lips
Dark pigmentation on lips can be caused due to several reasons, of which the most common is smoking (i.e nicotine) for a prolonged duration. That doesn't mean only smokers are prone to the condition, there are many people with other various reasons. To clear your doubts, following is a list of the probable causes of developing dark spots on the lips.
- Deficiency of vitamin B and change in levels of hormones.
- Habits like frequent lip licking and lip biting.
- High intake of tea, coffee or other caffeinated hot beverages.
- A significant rise in iron levels of the body.
- Usage of specific brands of toothpaste and administration of certain lip medications.
- Old lipsticks or other low-quality lip care products.
- Similar to skin sunburn, lips may become dark, rough and dry after exposure to harsh rays of the sun.
- Very rarely, dark spots on lips are developed due to improper dental fixtures.
- During winter (as the atmospheric humidity drops down), dark spots may appear on lips due to lack of moisture in the lips.
Unwanted spots on lips usually fade away with the regular lip caring tips.
Drink Plenty of Water
Drinking ample amount of water daily keeps body and lips hydrated, thus averting dry lips. Also, one should avoid licking of lips to avoid dry lips. Always remember that dry condition worsens the discoloration of the lips.
If the dark spots are a result of prolonged smoking or chewing tobacco, then best home remedy is to abstain from such habits. You will certainly notice significant improvement in the color of the lips over a period of time.
Apply Lemon Juice
Lemon juice, due to its natural bleaching ability, helps lighten the color of the prominent spots. For increased effectiveness, mix equal amounts of lemon juice and honey, and apply the mixture several times a day. By doing so, the lip discoloration will fade away within a few days.
Check Lip Care Product Labels
Speaking about lip care, extra efforts should be taken in order to get rid of dark lip spots. While using any lip products, make sure you use reliable brands and avoid expired products. Keep your lips soft and moisturized by applying thick cold creams, homemade lip gloss, or clarified butter.
If the spots do not fade away after following the tips, consult a qualified dermatologist. The doctor may conduct tests to check for any possible health problems causing the discoloration. If required, doctor may suggest laser therapy to restore normal lip color. Though, spots on lips rarely pose health risks, it is always better to be safe than sorry.
Disclaimer: This information is for general knowledge only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.