Waxing is one of the most preferred methods of getting rid of body hair. It involves a simple procedure, allowing you to lead a hair-free life for about 2-3 weeks. The same is not possible with other techniques. You can perform hot wax hair removal at home quite comfortably. You just need the required materials, like hot wax, heating bowl, strips, knife or spatula, time, and patience.
Hot Wax Procedure
This method can be used on virtually any part of the body to get rid of hair. It is generally used to remove hair from arms, legs, and back. However, it can also be used on those parts where the skin is quite sensitive like bikini line, face, and underarms. This is because, hot wax is quite thick in consistency. This enables it to be stripped off easily. This method of hair removal can be carried out effectively, both at home or at a beauty salon. The only difference is that a professional is able to do it fast, and with less mess. If you wish to perform it at home, you will need a hot wax hair removal kit. You can get such a kit from cosmetic shops. The general procedure is described here.
- Heat the hot wax in an electric heater, designed for the purpose.
- Apply a layer of talcum powder on the desired part of the skin with the help of a sponge.
- Take a small amount of heated wax on a knife or spatula, and spread it on the desired body part in the direction of hair growth.
- Cover this layer with either a plastic strip or a cotton cloth.
- Press the cover on the wax gently, hold it at one end, and strip it off in one go, at an angle of 45 degrees to the skin. The direction of stripping should be opposite to that of hair growth.
Pros and Cons
|Gives the skin a more smooth and fresh look||Causes pain and discomfort while stripping off the strip|
|Effect lasts longer than that of other methods, like shaving and use of depilatories||Chances of skin bleeding in certain places, and becoming swollen afterward|
|Hair grows back with softer, tapered ends, and does not feel prickly||There needs to be considerable amount and length of hair present for the next session of waxing|
|Also peels off the uppermost layer of the skin, facilitating removal of dead skin cells||The entire procedure is messy and time-consuming|
There are certain points that need your consideration to get the best effects:
- First of all, never wax the skin when it is wet or layered with cream or moisturizer. It will hinder the working, and so will alter the results.
- Waxing is quite painful. If you feel the pain unbearable, you should consider taking an over-the-counter pain killer like Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen a day in advance of the session.
- Never ever try to wax your eyes, nose or ears by this method.
- Many women tend to have increased sensitivity of skin during menstruation. Their skin is more prone to cuts and bruises during this period. Therefore, avoid going for hot wax hair removal session in such conditions.