Sandalwood is obtained from the trees belonging to the genus Santalum. These trees are found mainly in India, Nepal, Indonesia, Australia and the Pacific Islands. Apart from having a characteristic fragrance, sandalwood also has antiseptic properties by dint of which it has a wide range of applications.
Sandalwood powder has been used since ancient times for beautifying skin as also for treating different skin conditions. It proves as an effective agent to get rid of acne and blackheads. It helps in giving a clean and clear skin tone, and maintaining the flawless complexion everyone craves for. The various uses of sandalwood powder have been outlined here:
Treating Blackheads and Acne
Blackheads are predominantly found on the T-zone, that is, the forehead, nose, and chin. A thick paste made from a mixture of sandalwood powder, turmeric powder, and rosewater helps to get rid of such blackheads.
Apply the paste evenly over areas that are prone to blackheads. Wash your face clean after 20-30 minutes. For acne treatment, you can add some camphor to this paste. Apply on the face at night, and wash it off the next morning. A regular use helps to get rid of acne and blackheads while maintaining a clean skin.
Red sandalwood powder, which is also referred to as Rakta Chandana, has antiseptic and wound healing properties. Given here are a few applications.
- A paste prepared from red sandalwood powder, honey and water helps in the treatment of scars and wounds.
- Red sandalwood powder is also used for relieving skin infections caused by insect bites.
- It helps to soothe the pains due to burns, and also aids the healing of light scars caused due to minor burns.
Sandalwood powder is an effective anti-tanning agent, and is used for the removal of tan caused due to ultraviolet rays of the sun. A paste of almond oil and sandalwood powder is used for this purpose. Apply it onto the affected area and allow it dry. Wash it off with warm water.
- Red sandalwood powder in a combination with glycerin and water is useful to get rid of wrinkles.
- Use of sandalwood powder mixed with avocado or wheat germ oil while bathing helps to deal with itchy and dry skin.
- A paste prepared from sandalwood powder and milk helps to reduce skin-rash and other skin allergies.
Sandalwood powder has a variety of cosmetic as well as medicinal applications. These properties make this fragrant powder an important ingredient of many skin care products.