The chin is a region where fat accumulates very easily, forming what is known as a double chin. This is nothing but the subcutaneous fat layer around the neck that sags down and creates a second chin. Mostly seen in obese people, it also occurs in the elderly. It poses no great health risks, and is mainly seen as a cosmetic embarrassment.
Weight gain and aging are the two main reasons that can result in a double chin. However, in addition to these two reasons, bone structure, loose skin and some inherited characteristics can result in a double chin as well.
There are two ways in which you can reduce a double chin. One is exercise and the other is surgery. Surgery means cosmetic surgery, which is used to remove the fat stored in the area below the jaws. Here, we are going to discuss some exercises to deal with a double chin.
● Let's start off with a simple exercise. This can be performed by lying down on one side and placing your head on a pillow. Tilt your head in backward direction such that your chin gets stretched. It is advisable that you stretch the chin gently, without any strain on your neck. Try to relax your body and gradually you will get used to this stretching.
● This exercise is actually effective in reducing a double chin; just slap the skin under the jaw with the back of your palm. Do this exercise gently for two to three minutes. Initially, perform this exercise slowly and gently. You can increase the speed later on.
● Stand in a comfortable position and keep your head in a straight position. Now, stretch your tongue out of the mouth and relax for 10 seconds. Repeat this exercise 5 times. It is not necessary that you perform the exercise during a particular time of the day. Whenever you get time, you can do these exercises.
● There is one more effective exercise which can be done during your regular workout session. Keep your mouth shut and tilt your head in a backward direction slowly. Do not apply any kind of jerk to your neck. Remain in this position for about 10 seconds. Regain the original position. In the beginning, repeat the exercise 5 times.
● There is another modification of the mentioned exercise. For this exercise, you have to tilt your head as specified above. The next step is slightly different. Once you tilt your head backwards, you have to open and close your mouth slowly. You can feel the stretch over the muscles in the chin region.
● Lie down on your back on the floor and keep your hands besides your thighs and tuck your chin in the chest. Remain in this position for around 10 seconds and then slowly return to the original position.
● Stand in an upright position, and hold a beach ball or a volleyball under your chin and chest. Remain in that position for around 5 seconds. Again, remove the ball and repeat this exercise 5 times.
These were a few exercises to get rid of a double chin. A balanced and healthy diet also plays an important role in reducing this condition. Stop eating junk food and eat fruits and vegetables instead. However, it takes a lot of time and consistency to reduce facial fat. In addition, other exercises for around 45 minutes daily are equally important.