The cultivation of olive crop has been in existence for over 3,000 years in the Mediterranean countries. Most of the crops are utilized to make olive oil. This oil is known to be a major part of the diet in many countries, including Greece, Italy, and Spain. The oil contains monounsaturated fats which help to lower the total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein levels in the body.
- Add ¼ cup of olive oil, and several drops of lavender essential oil to the bathing water. Take a bath with this water before going to bed. The olive oil will leave your skin moisturized and the essential oil will help you relax before going to bed.
- Apply olive oil to your lips, especially before bed time. This is extremely helpful for those who are affected by chapped lips.
- Massage your face, hands, feet, etc., using the oil, before going to bed. The oil helps the skin regain its natural oil balance and stay hydrated, thereby preventing dryness. The oil can also be used in conjunction with other facial home remedies to get maximum benefits.
- Wash your face with an oil-free cleanser and pat dry the skin. Now wet your fingertips with olive oil and massage the skin with it. Concentrate more on the acne scars. Wait for 20 minutes, before rinsing off with lukewarm water. Do this once in the morning and again before going to bed. Also, you may make use of a combination/paste of the oil and baking soda for acne scar removal. Massage the paste onto the scars, scrub for one minute, and clean with lukewarm water. This method, when followed about 2-3 times a week, helps in reducing the appearance of the scars.
- Get a tablespoon of lemon juice and mix it with the oil. Warm the mixture till it is lukewarm. Soak your nails in it for 5-10 minutes. The solution will soften the cuticles, and at the same time strengthen the nails. For hands, combine equal parts of the oil and sugar. Rub your hands until sugar dissolves and rinse with warm water. This will give you smooth and soft hands. Before you retire to bed, apply a generous amount of the oil to your feet and cover them with socks. It will make your feet soft the next morning.
- For skin lightening, mix olive oil, honey, and an egg yolk. Apply this mixture to the face and leave it for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
- To treat a rash, apply the oil onto the affected area of the body. It would not only soothe the skin, but would also relief the burning sensation which may arise due to the rash.
- Dab a small amount of olive oil on the corner of the eyes, the eyelids, and under the eyes. Be cautious not to get the oil into the eyes, and that is the reason why you must use a small amount of it. This will soothe your eyes and provides relief to burning eyes.