People, men and women alike, across the globe keep trying out various methods to combat skin problems. A number of products (both natural and artificial), which promise positive results, have come into existence. The recent inclusion is - Chocolates. Chocolate for skin? Yes! You've read it correct. When I say CHOCOLATES, I don't mean the candy bars that you get from vending machines. These candy bars contain high amount of sugar and other synthetic additives, which may act as triggers for a number of skin problems.
There is an age-old myth that chocolates trigger acne and are responsible for other skin problems like oily and dull skin. However, laying to rest this myth, much to delight of chocoholics, researchers have proven it otherwise. It has been proven that a healthy share of chocolate can give you, fabulous skin that radiates health and beauty. Hence, the answer to your query, "Can chocolate make your skin shine?", is YES.
It does improve the quality of skin. Though, chocolate is good for the skin, you must take care while choosing the type of chocolate you consume. This is because, not all chocolates are what they claim to be. Generally, dark chocolate is preferred over other chocolate varieties, owing to its quintessential benefits. In the following paragraphs, let us discuss the effects chocolates have on skin.
Pamper Your Skin with Chocolate
Consuming chocolates is known to have a number of positive effects on the overall health of an individual. When it comes to skin care, chocolates can be used as packs, scrubs and wraps. Spas and salons are also making the use of chocolates in their skin treatment techniques, which yield positive results. Mentioned here are some of the benefits of dark chocolate for skin.
- Flavonoids, which are a type of antioxidants contain a compound called epicatechins. This component has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties which protect the skin from damage, caused due to pollution, exposure to harmful chemicals and smoking.
- Collagen and elastin play a key role in preventing wrinkles and skin discoloration. However, free radicals present in the body tend to destroy these components of the skin, thereby triggering skin problems. Chocolate, especially the dark version, is a rich source of flavanols, a type of flavonoids, which help in fighting against free radicals. They also repair damaged cells, making the skin healthy and blemish-free.
- Cocoa, the main ingredient of this sweet treat, is known to increase the moisture in the skin, making it hydrated, and thereby preventing its flaking. Since skin density is improved, with the regular consumption of dark chocolate, you can now bid goodbye to dry, scratchy and rough skin.
- Dark chocolate acts as a shield to protect the skin from harmful UV rays. There is considerable improvement in blood circulation and age spots also tend to fade away. Due to this, the skin appears to have a refreshing and dewy appearance.
- Chocolate is known to relieve stress, with the help of hormones. This, in turn, helps strengthen the collagen and stall the signs of aging like wrinkles, sagging or loose skin, dark spots, etc. It also helps smoothen the texture of the skin and controls the secretion of sebum (or oil).
- Chocolate performs the same functions, when used on the skin. For external application, chocolate is used in the form of unsweetened cocoa powder, mixed with other ingredients (oatmeal, honey, milk cream, etc.) to make a face pack. Chocolate is also used for other beauty treatments, to enhance the skin's texture and appearance.
- For a fresh and younger looking skin, you can use a chocolate facial mask, cocoa bean skin polish, chocolate fondue body wrap or a chocolate milk bath. This chocolate therapy is known to make the skin soft, supple and glow with radiance.
Indulging in chocolate has never been a more rewarding experience. The right amount of chocolate can give you a visibly healthier and radiant skin. Now that you are aware of the benefits of chocolate for skin, I guess we can say, "A chocolate a day keeps skin problems away!"