Most women harbor the desire to find the right makeup so they can flaunt glowing, flawless skin. The type of foundation you choose depends on the kind of skin you have, that is. dry, oily or combination. Either way, a foundation is sure to make you look naturally younger, and help you fulfill the desire to show off your radiant skin.
What is Foundation Makeup?
Foundation is the most important element of makeup, which keeps it real and natural. It is the base layer on which the remaining makeup is applied. However, some women prefer to use primers before they apply foundation. Foundations come with moisturizer and sun-protection agents, and function as protective layers against harsh weather conditions like sunlight and dry air conditioning. Being a makeup base, the shade of foundation you choose should ideally be the closest to your natural skin tone. As mentioned earlier, along with being suitable for your skin tone, the best foundation makeup is one that also suits your skin type.
Best Foundation for Oily/Acne-Prone Skin
Women with acne-prone skin should be very careful while selecting a foundation for themselves. Because foundation and other types of makeup clog skin pores to some extent, it is very important to select the right kind. Oil free, powder-based or water-based foundation are the best choices for acne-prone or oily skin.
Also, select a foundation that has the word non-comedogenic (by choosing products with this ingredient, you are inviting acne breakouts, or worsening what you already have, since this add-on in makeup clogs pores) in its list of ingredients; micronized mineral-free foundation is also an opt choice. Also refrain from using foundation containing synthetic coloring, dyes, preservatives, and fragrances.
Always use foundation sparingly by applying only a light coat on the skin. Wash your face thoroughly to get rid of the makeup before you sleep, avoiding soap bars and hand cleansers - opt for a good face wash instead. Check out this list of foundation for women with acne-prone skin:
- Revlon's ColorStay
- Almay Clear Complexion
- Naked Minerals Pressed Powder Foundation Duo
- GloMinerals GloPressed Base - Powder Mineral Foundation
- Prescriptives Custom Blend
- Prescriptives Flawless
- Clinique Superbalanced Mineral Powder
- Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals Foundation for Acne-Prone Skin
- Maybelline's Pure Makeup Liquid Foundation
- Maybelline Age Rewind
- L' Oreal Mat Cashmere
- Chanel Twinkle Glossimer
- Dr Irena Eris Under 20 Anti-Acne Anti-Bacterial Foundation
- Laura Mercier's Silk Crème
- Prescriptives Virtual Matte
- MAC Studio Fix
- CoverGirl's Professional Loose Powder
- Px Flawless Skin
- Shiseido's Perfect Refining Foundation
- Lycogel UK Breathable Camouflage Foundation
- Jurlique Citrus Silk Finishing Powder
Best Foundation for Dry Skin
If you have dry, flaky skin, liquid foundation is the best option for you. You can use a foundation that has effective moisturizer agent in it; hence a cream based foundation can also suit your skin type. Always refrain from powder-based and matte-based foundations for dry skin, because they cause a caked and chalky appearance. It is better to select the best oil-based foundation, concealer and tinted moisturizer.
Form a light coat of it over your skin. Apply the foundation in small dots and blend it well into the skin with the help of a good makeup sponge. This will give your skin a more natural and dewy look. Some popular brands of foundation makeup for dry skin are:
- Laura Mercier Oil-Free Foundation Liquid
- MAC Mineralized Satin Finish
- MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation
- Revlon ColorStay Foundation
- Chanel Teint Innocence Foundation
- Clinique Supermoisture Foundation
- Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick
- CoverGirl NatureLuxe Foundation
- BareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation
- 100% Pure Healthy Skin Foundation with Super Fruits
- Clarins Hydra-Care Tinted Moisturizer
- Laura Mercier for Regular Skin
- Real Purity Health Glow
- Philosophy "The Supernatural"
- Clinique Superbalanced Makeup Foundation
- Chanel Vitalumiere Satin Smoothing Fluid Makeup
- Maybelline Fit Me foundation
- e.l.f. Minerals Starter Kit
Best Foundation for Combination/Mature Skin
People with combination skin experience oiliness across their forehead, nose, and upper lip with signs of dryness around their face. This skin appears oily during warm months and normal or dry during cold months. Such people need two differently formulated foundation makeup products, depending on the season. They can wear oil-free as well as oil-based foundation.
To be on safer side, they should go for a combination of an oil-free foundation and mineral makeup. Selecting liquid foundation rather than a water-based foundation product is also safe. For best results, check how oily your skin is, and choose a foundation accordingly. For instance, if you find your skin more oily than dry, then go for a powder based foundation and if you feel it is more dry than oily, go for an oil-based foundation.
There are also certain brands that specifically cater to combination/mature skin. It is important to check if it comes enhanced with sun protection elements.Some popular foundation makeup brands for combination skin are:
- Healthy FX foundation SPF 15
- Philosophy The Supernatural Airbrushed Canvas SPF 15 Extra Rich
- L'Oreal Ideal Balance
- L'Oreal Paris True Match Super Blendable Makeup SPF 17
- Dermalogica Treatment Foundation
- Joe Blasco Creme Foundation
- Revlon Colorstay Foundation for Combination Skin
- Clinique Superbalanced Makeup
- Mary Kay Mineral Powder Foundation
- Paula's Choice Best Face Forward Foundation SPF 15
- BareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup SPF 10
- DiorSkin Nude Foundation
- Korres Wild Rose Foundation
- Stila Illuminating Liquid Foundation
- Estee Lauder Resilience Lift Extreme Foundation
- Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Foundation
- Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer
- Lorac Breakthrough Performance Foundation
Choosing the perfect foundation is easy if you follow the aforementioned guidelines. While purchasing foundation makeup for skin type, apply a hint of the product on your jaw line and see how it blends with your skin tone. If the foundation doesn't bring on a reaction upon repetitive use, then it is perfect for you.
During the application, always pay attention to blending it into areas like jaw line, ear lobes, corners of the mouth, nose and the skin under the eyes. It is also important to remove the foundation with a suitable cleanser to maintain the moisture levels of your skin. As a precaution, always maintain hygiene by regularly cleaning the makeup tools that you use.