Your eyelashes adorn your eyes like a crest adorns a peacock’s regal head! This BeautiSecrets article provides information regarding the best mascara for sensitive eyes to make your lashes look gorgeous without bringing tears to those beautiful eyes.
Edward George Earle Lytton Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton has immortalized the charm of beautiful eyes in the following words: Beautiful eyes in the face of a handsome woman are like eloquence to speech. Women have paid great attention to their eyes since time immemorial, and the history of eye makeup and eye cosmetics is as ancient as civilization itself! Mascara is an eye cosmetic which is used to darken/color, thicken, lengthen, and define eyelashes. It can be in liquid, cake, or cream form.
Mascara – An Overview
The first commercial mascara was invented by Eugène Rimmel, a French perfumer and businessman, in the 19th century. However, the modern mascara, as we know it, was invented by T.L. Williams, a chemist, in 1913 for his sister, Mabel. He created this mascara by mixing coal dust with Vaseline petroleum jelly. The product was a success, and Williams started marketing it under his company Maybelline, which happens to be a combination of his sister’s name (Mabel) and Vaseline! Modern mascaras can be classified into two broad categories: water-resistant and generic.
Waterproof mascaras are composed of volatile solvents such as isododecane and contain other ingredients like beeswax, vegetable waxes, mineral-based waxes such as paraffin, color pigments such as iron oxide and ultramarine, and polymers that form films. These mascaras are devoid of water sensitive moieties, making them resistant to tears, perspiration, rain, etc. Due to this reason, removal of waterproof mascara is possible only through the use of specific eye makeup removers, and cannot be washed off with water.
Generic or non-waterproof mascaras have water as their base and contain soft surfactants, beeswax, vegetable wax, mineral-based waxes, color pigments, thickening polymers like gum arabic and preservatives. These mascaras are prone to run on contact with tears, sweat, and water. Hence, their removal is simple as they can be washed away with soap and water. Adding latex to these mascaras can make them water-resistant to a certain degree. Colored mascara often uses egg whites.
Best Mascara for Sensitive Eyes
The chemicals and ingredients used in the mascaras may often adversely react with the eyes and cause irritations to them. Also, some people may be allergic to any of the ingredients and may show negative reactions to certain mascaras. Sometimes, people who wear contact lenses are also on the lookout for mascara that doesn’t irritate eyes because contact lenses and mascara chemicals may not react positively to each other and may cause worries for the eyes.
Irritations to the eyes may manifest as watering eyes, reddening of the eyes, itching, burning, etc., which can lead to rubbing and contamination of the eyes, making way for more serious eye infections such as conjunctivitis! Based on actual user experiences of women with sensitive eyes, here is a list of best mascara for sensitive eyes:
- Clinique Naturally Glossy Mascara
- Dior Show
- Lancome Definicils
- Sephora Fresh Supernova Mascara
That was a general overview on best mascaras for sensitive eyes. However, if you are looking for some good waterproof mascara that’s gentle on sensitive eyes, the following come out as clear winners:
- Clinique Gentle Waterproof Mascara
- Bourjois Pump Up The Volume Mascara
- Maybelline Great Lash Waterproof Mascara
- Cover Girl
We are all aware of how to put on mascara. However, there are a few more things you need to be aware of before applying that brush to your lashes. The following mascara tips will help you protect your eyes besides getting gorgeous lashes:
- Avoid waterproof mascara for daily use; the chemicals in the eye makeup remover may cause more harm than the mascara itself if used regularly.
- Keep a track of the expiry date of the cosmetics when purchasing as well as of those which you already own.
- Wash and clean the applicators on a regular basis to prevent the accumulation of dirt and contaminants.
- Read through the ingredients while buying a mascara; if you find anything you know you are allergic to, refrain from buying it.
- Keep a small pack of sterilized ear buds in your purse in case your mascara starts running. It is better and more hygienic to clean up the smudged mascara around the eyes with sterilized cotton than a handkerchief as the cotton on the buds is softer, hence gentler than hanky fabric. Being sterilized, it is also least prone to introduce any infection or contaminant to the eyes.
- If possible, use natural eye makeup removers.
- Attaching false eyelashes instead of using mascara may also help by decreasing contact with cosmetic chemicals.
If you have sensitive eyes, get more information on sensitive eye makeup to be on the safer side. So, go on – flutter those sexy lashes without compromising your ocular health! The world’s your hunting ground and those eyes are your weapons – sharpen those glances with your choice of mascara without hurting your sensitive eyes, and bask in the glory of all the attention you get!
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not in any way attempt to replace the advice offered by an expert on the subject.