The same dull glow and the faint cracks are all that you notice on your face while looking into a mirror. And everyday you ponder, "how oily and lifeless my skin is!" This happens when the production of sebum in your skin has increased or if you have left it untended for a long time. Climatic conditions, exposure to pollution and an unhealthy diet can also make your skin excessively oily. Conditions aggravate when you fail to take proper care of your skin.
An oily skin also needs moisturizers that help retaining its natural sheen forever. If you do not moisturize your skin, it will either become dull, emanating an unhealthy shine or become dry and lusterless. Moisturizing your skin regularly and keeping it squeaky clean are the only ways to overcome this problem.
Choosing a Moisturizer for Oily Skin
A non greasy and light moisturizer complements an oily skin. The moisturizer should be either water based, gel type or oil free. Your skin should be capable of absorbing it quickly and the moisturizer should render a smooth and radiant glow to your skin. Do not use moisturizers with mineral oil, vitamin E, lanolin or petrolatum. They are not suitable for an oily skin as they clog the pores and flare up pimples and acne.
Oily skin moisturizers usually contain alpha hydroxy acids (AHA), which are water soluble and organic in nature. AHAs like lactic acid and glycolic acid offer a complete oil free look to your skin. You can also pick up glycerin based and non comedogenic moisturizers. Some examples of such moisturizers are:
- Earth pH Equilibrant Moisturizer
- Shiseido Matifying Oil-free Moisturizer
- L'Oreal Pure Zone Anti-Regreasing Moisturizer
- Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel
You must use a moisturizer containing a minimum SPF 15 while stepping out in the sun. Sunscreen moisturizers for oily skin are also water based and non-oily. You can opt for a sunblock as well. Some excellent products for oily skin are listed below.
- Olay Complete All Day Moisture Lotion SPF 15 Light
- Combination/Oily, DDF Mattifying Oil Control UV Moisturizer SPF15
- Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer SPF 15
- Dermalogica Oil Free Matte Block SPF 20
Homemade Moisturizers for Oily Skin
Aloe vera, lavender oil, lemon oil, sandalwood oil and tea tree oil are some ingredients that work extremely well on an oily skin. They enhance the natural glow on your face without rendering a greasy feel to it.
Include these homemade moisturizers in your daily skin care routine.
- Mix 2 tsps of rosemary oil with 1 tsp of sandalwood oil. Add 2 tsps of vinegar in 2 glasses of water. Form an emulsion with the water-vinegar and oil mix. Store it in a refrigerator and apply all over your face after cleansing it.
- Extract the pulp of aloe vera. Add two tsps of honey to one cup of pulp. Blend it in a processor and dilute it with rose-water and add 2 tsps of tea tree oil. Store it inside your refrigerator and massage your skin regularly with it.
A complete skin care regimen with cleansing, toning and moisturizing is necessary to maintain the health of your skin. Cleanse your face with a soap free and oil control face wash. You should also exfoliate your skin every alternate day to get rid of the dead cells and black heads. Apply an alcohol free toner or rose-water after cleansing. Avoid acetone based astringents as they take away the natural oils from your skin. Massage your face (and rest of your body) with an oil free moisturizer after you have cleaned it.
You can follow the aforementioned moisturizing tips to enhance the texture of your skin. Make sure that you stick to a product and do not go for frequent change of cosmetics. The products that we have listed in this article are undoubtedly of best quality. Moisturize your skin everyday before going to bed and notice the difference. Also note that, dermatologists and skin care experts say, "to have an oily skin is actually a boon, because it remains young and supple forever." So won't you love to take care of it? (I assume yes!)