The appearance of dark circles under eyes is a common problem plaguing a lot of people around the world. They can make your eyes look tired, unhealthy, and haggard. While we do tend to associate it with tiredness and fatigue, the causes are not just limited to these factors only. Pigmentation, over exposure to the sun's rays, inflammation of the eyes, and even the bone structure of the face can contribute to the appearance of dark under-eye circles. Before we can look at some effective remedies, let us look at the possible causes for the appearance of eye bags and pigmented circles under the eyes.
Dark Circles Under Eyes Causes
The skin under the eyes is thin and delicate, and there are many factors that result in the appearance of the unsightly dark circles. The most common causes are as follows:
- Nutritional deficiencies, especially iron and vitamins
- Excessive vascularization due to medications such as Retin A
- Aging and hereditary causes
- Smoking and alcohol
- Certain illnesses
How To Get Rid of Dark Circles Under Eyes?
Mild forms of dark circles can be cured by placing cold compresses, two chilled teaspoons, or a cooled, used teabag. This helps reduce the dilation and discoloration under the eyes. Slices of cucumber, placed on the eyes for around fifteen minutes twice a day, can help cure dark circles.
Plenty of Sleep
A lack of sleep and the resulting fatigue can cause under-eye circles. To reduce this, get plenty of rest. While an average eight hours of sleep is necessary, the amount of sleep time varies for each person. Keep away from alcohol and drugs which can affect the quality of your sleep. Overnight facial eye masques reduce the puffiness around the eyes. You can also take a wet washcloth, drain out the water, and place them over the eyes to reduce the eye swelling and discoloration.
Vitamin K Eye Creams
A deficiency of vitamin K is one of the contributory factors for the appearance of under-eye dark circles. Research has shown that under-eye and skin creams containing Retinol and Vitamin K are quite effective in reducing the puffy eyes dark circles.
A balanced diet plenty of fruits and vegetable especially cabbage, spinach, and other leafy green vegetables are an excellent way of improving the circulation and reducing the under-eye circles. Take vitamin supplements, especially ones containing vitamin B12 which is one of the primary causes of dark circles under the eyes. Excess of salt intake can lead to water retention in parts of the body and impair the body circulation.
Other Dark Circles Under Eyes Cures
Here are some simple tips that will help you get rid of those ugly discoloration and puffy eyes.
- A mixture of tomato and lemon juice applied under the eyes allows you to reduce the swelling and the ugly dark circles.
- A mixture of soothing lanolin cream, cucumber juice, and lemon juice not only cool the eyes but also reduce the under-eye discoloration.
- An effective treatment for dark circles under eyes is almond oil applied under the eyes.
- A paste of crushed cucumber, pineapple juice, and turmeric is effective in reducing the eyebags. Apply it to the affected area and wash off after fifteen minutes or so.
- A natural cooling product, rose water can help reduce the swelling under the eyes. For using this age-old remedy, pour some five to six drops of rose water on a cotton ball and place it on the eye.