Acne scars are unwanted marks on the skin that affect your beauty and appearance. Around 80% people suffer from acne in their teens. While some acne scars go away on their own without any treatment, some need proper medication or surgical treatment…
Being a teenager, everyone dreams about healthy, glowing, clear skin. However, acne and its scars may not allow you to fulfill your dream. Although a common condition that most teenagers and a few older people experience, acne might have serious effects like spreading and deepening of the scars on the face, neck and the chest.
Traditionally, dermatologists used to prescribe some creams and ointments for acne treatment, however, today essential oils are in great form as a treatment option for acne scar removal. Essential oil is good because it does not clog the skin pores but cleans them from within. One of the very effective essential oils for getting rid of those ugly scars is helichrysum oil. If you are suffering from acne and have developed mild scars, helichrysum oil can be a perfect treatment option for you.
Origin and Properties
» Scientific Name: Helichrysum angustifolium
» Commonly Called: Everlasting or Immortelle
» Origin: France
» Method of Extraction: Steam Distillation
» Parts Used in Oil Extraction: Flowers
» Color: Pale yellow
» Fragrance: Strong, fruity, aromatic smell which serves best for various aroma therapies.
» Properties: Anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, expectorant, anti-allergenic, astringent, antiseptic, anti-microbial, nervine, fungicide and diuretic.
Best Treatment for Acne Scars
Conventional treatment options like creams and ointments for acne scars are ruled out because they pose certain side effects and are not suitable for all. On the contrary, helichrysum and other such essential oils are natural products extracted from herbs and plants with little to no side effects. Consider the following key points while applying helichrysum essential oil on your scars:
- Undiluted form of the oil can cause extreme dryness in the skin.
- Hence, it should be combined with other carrier or rounding oils such as rosewood, lavender or rose hip seed oil to get its diluted form. Jojoba and grape seed oil are also good carrier oils for mixing helichrysum oil.
- Apply the oil 2-3 times a day for better results.
- These natural products take a considerable amount of time to show the result. Continue using helichrysum oil for at least 4-5 weeks and notice the difference. Within a few months you will find your face and the area around the neck as clean and clear as it used to be earlier.
- It is important to know that the oil can be effective only for treating old scars and not when acne is an active problem.
- It has a good shelf life and hence can be stored for long unlike other essential oils.
Other Uses and Concerns
Apart from curing acne scars, helichrysum essential oil also proves to be helpful in treating burns and infections. You can apply it in two ways, diluted and undiluted i.e., the concentrated form. When applying it undiluted on burns, take some oil on your index-finger tip and apply it immediately on the affected area. It is also very effective in relieving persistent pain in the back, neck and the body, however, for such problems the oil has to be used in its diluted form.
Being highly effective for acne scar treatment and other healing processes, helichrysum essential oil is quite expensive. However, it is definitely a cheaper treatment option than laser therapy and other surgical procedures. Make sure that the oil bottle you are purchasing contains original helichrysum essential oil extracted from its flowers. Although non-toxic and non-irritant, do not use it for children below 12 years. Also being an anti-coagulant, it should be avoided by people who have undergone a surgery or are at risk of internal hemorrhage.
Amongst all, helichrysum is the only essential oil that is found to contain b-diketones, which is a necessary component to enhance the healing process and scar reduction. It is also used in various skin care products for it has skin-rejuvenating properties.