Acne has several natural and medical treatments which can get rid of the existing acne, acne breakouts and even the scars. But the question is how effective are these products, and which treatment to follow? Well, grapefruit seed extract is one of the natural and effective treatment for acne. Grapefruit seed extract is obtained from the grape fruit pulp, seeds and the white lining which is present in the peel or the covering. It is also known as citrus seed extract. This extract has antiviral, antibacterial, anti fungal, anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which makes it perfect for various skin conditions such as acne.
How to Use Grapefruit Seed Extract for Acne
Grapefruit seed extract or GSE behaves as a cleanser and removes all the dirt and oil trapped inside the skin which causes acne. It also has astringent properties which dries up the oil secreted by the sebaceous glands and thus helps in controlling the growth of bacteria. Grapefruit seed extract can be easily found in the medical store. It can also be found in many cosmetic products. This extract is pure and should always be used in a diluted form. Following are some of the steps on treating acne with grapefruit seed extract.
- Wet your face with the help of warm water. Either splash warm water or moisten it with the help of wet soft cloth.
- Now take 3 to 4 drops of grapefruit seed extract in your damp hands. Start massaging it on the wet face in a circular motion. Properly massage it all over the face for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Another way of using grapefruit seed extract is by adding 2 to 3 drops in your facial cleanser and use it in the similar way as explained in the above point.
- Wash off the solution with the help of warm water and pat dry it with a clean towel.
- You can also take 2-3 drops of grapefruit extract and mix it with one tablespoon of water and directly apply it on the pimples with the help of cotton balls. Wash it off after 10 minutes and pat dry.
Other Uses of Grapefruit Seed Extract
Apart from treating acne, there are lots of other grapefruit seed extract uses. Following are some of them.
- It is very helpful in treating dandruff. You can use few drops with your shampoo and massage it on the scalp. Wash it off after 2 to 3 minutes.
- For cracked lips, take few drops of GSE in olive oil and apply it several times throughout the day. You will get rid of cracked lips very soon.
- You can add few drops of GSE in the neti pot for nasal rinse. This is one of the effective ways to treat cold and flu.
- It makes an excellent mouthwash. Put few drops of GSE in a glass of water and gargle daily.
- It can also be helpful for treating infections caused by bacteria, virus and fungi.
- It is used in curing stomach disorders also.