People who are suffering from acne should be careful about the kind of makeup they use. Every woman craves for perfect skin and with the right makeup it is possible to camouflage existing acne and also prevent them from appearing. Some cosmetics cause an acne flare-up so it is very important to choose cosmetics that are specially formulated for acne prone sensitive skin and which will prevent breakouts. The right makeup for acne prone skin can not only hide your imperfections but also give you the appearance of having a smooth, dewy and radiant complexion.
Cosmetics for Acne Prone Skin
For achieving a natural looking and flawless complexion, you need a good foundation. But with so many formulations in foundation, how do you figure out which is the best for acne prone skin. When you have sensitive skin which is prone to acne, it is best opt for water based formulation in foundation. Add a few drops of essential oils like lavender and tea tree into the moisturizer before application of foundation as it soothes and calms the skin. When you have a tendency of getting pimples and blackheads, it is best to choose oil free formulations in foundations. Whipped or mousse foundation, cream to powder or liquid to powder foundations are best suited for acne prone skin. If you are reluctant to use foundations, you can opt for a tinted moisturizer for a hint of color and sheer coverage during the hot and humid season. Dot the foundation on your face and then use a makeup sponge or brush to spread it evenly. Sweep the foundation from the inside moving outwards, so that the foundation blends with the skin. Some of the best foundation for acne prone skin are Chanel Lift Lumaire Firming and Smoothing Fluid Makeup, Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse, and Biotherm Aquateinte Oligo Thermal Tinted Moisturizer.
Use a high quality concealer matching your skin tone to conceal spots and redness caused due to inflammation. Use a very small and fine brush to apply concealer at the center of the spot and then blend it in. Set your base with a light dusting of loose powder with the help of a brush. The brush will act as a blotter and help to absorb excess oil. If you do not have a concealer, you can use the thick foundation that accumulates at the underside of the lid of your cosmetic to conceal spots. But make sure that you do not apply too much concealer on a blemish. Some of the best concealers for acne prone skin are, Lancome Maquicompleu Concealer and Urban Decay Surreal Skin Creamy Concealer.
Tips for Choosing Makeup for Acne Prone Skin
There are certain things that you should keep in mind while shopping for cosmetics if you have acne prone skin.
- Use only oil free makeup and avoid products that contains petroleum by-products like mineral oil.
- When choosing makeup, especially blush and bronzer, buy oil free i.e. non comedogenic makeup and powder based products as they absorb oil and keep you looking fresh.
- You might find sunscreens too oily, so use foundations that contain titanium oxide as it is a naturally occurring sun protector.
- Avoid cosmetics that contains ingredients like dimethicone and bismuth oxychloride as they can clog pores of your skin and cause blemishes.
- Zinc oxide and Kaolin clay are very good oil absorbing and anti-inflammatory ingredients. So make sure that these products are present in your makeup.
- Avoid products that contain alcohol, as alcohol dries out the skin by stripping it of moisture. This in turn, leads to excessive production of oil causing clogging of pores which leads to pimples.
- You can also opt for mineral makeup. Mineral makeup contain products like zinc oxide, titanium oxide, organic botanical extracts that have anti-inflammatory and anti bacterial properties.
- For removing makeup it is important to use a gentle cleanser for acne prone skin. Make sure that you remove all traces of makeup from your skin before going to bed.