Stretch marks are unsightly blemishes and can be a potential source of embarrassment for many. If you are facing this problem, consider microdermabrasion.
Microdermabrasion is a skin procedure used to rejuvenate the skin by removing the dead cells from its outermost layer. It is a non chemical method involving mechanical exfoliation. The removal of the outer dead skin cells promotes regeneration of new cells in the treated areas with an improved texture and appearance. The procedure involves spraying of small crystals, like that of aluminum oxide, on the surface of the skin. Baking soda, salt, or corn cob granules can also be sprayed. Simultaneously, suction is used to remove the dead skin cells and the crystals of aluminum oxide, away from the skin. The force of the spray, as well as the suction, can be adjusted according to the severity of the stretch marks. A stronger force may be required for a deeper penetration in the epidermis. One session lasts for about 30 minutes or so. The scars and the wrinkles get smaller with successive sessions which are carried out after an interval of 2 to 3 weeks. The number of sessions required for effective treatment depends on the severity of the marks.
Microdermabrasion works best on superficial scars, small wrinkles, and fine lines. Stretch marks are long fragmented scars that are sunken deep into the skin. The collagen and elastin present in the dermis break down and find it difficult to return to their normal structures, thus leaving a scar. Even though the actual scar is present deep down in the dermis, the epidermis also gets stretched and becomes translucent. It deals with removing dead cells from the topmost layer of the skin, and is not designed for treating these type of scars. However, it has positive effects on healing the damage caused to the epidermal tissue. Although, the scars do not disappear completely, they fade and become lighter.
- This skin treatment option does not involve use of any chemicals. Hence, it is safe for people who are allergic to certain chemical compounds.
- This procedure does not have any side effects. There is no redness, peeling, or irritation of the skin after the treatment.
- It promotes growth of new cells making the skin healthy and better looking. After continuous treatment, the stretch marks almost disappear.
- There is no surgical procedure associated with microdermabrasion.
- It is not a time-consuming process. Each session takes just about half an hour or so.
- The whole process is noninvasive and does not require any puncturing of the skin. You can carry out all your normal, daily activities after the treatment without having to stick to any particular diet or medication.
The cost of this procedure can be influenced by a number of factors, such as the city or country where you are getting the procedure done, how serious your skin condition is, and also the number of sessions you require. It is always better to consult a dermatologist before going for this procedure.