You might have observed it in canines and cats, but amber eyes in humans are very rare. The solid golden-yellow color is best highlighted with certain makeup tricks. This BeautiSecrets article lists eye makeup techniques that make this rare eye color look vivid and beautiful.
Want makeup inspiration?
Check out the makeup worn by celebrities, like Nikki Reed and Nicole Richie who have beautiful amber eyes.
Gorgeous amber eyes, also referred to as ‘wolf eyes’, are rare and extremely beautiful. They have a strong golden-yellow hue, which is caused by the deposition of the yellowish lipochrome pigment in the iris and a low concentration of melanin. Some of the amber-eyed beauties have copper or russet overtones as well. Unlike hazel eyes with flecks of green and brown, amber eyes have a solid color and are extremely rare. Makeup that complements such a vivid eye color can be difficult to choose. Ideally, the colors that are opposite of your eye color on the color wheel are the ones that complement the eye beautifully.
To bring out the color and make the eyes pop, there are certain colors that you should focus on. True amber color, which is a solid golden-yellow, is quite rare. Most of the time, pale brown eyes with a hint of green are considered to be amber eyes as well. Here are some great eye makeup tips for people with amber eyes.
Best Eyeshadow Colors
Purples and Plums Are Your New Best Friend
Purple and plum colors look gorgeous on amber eyes. Since they are on the opposite side of the color wheel, these colors enhance this rare eye color. Bright eggplant purple, violet purple, or red-toned burgundy purple highlight the golden tinge in amber eyes, and lights up the eyes perfectly. Purple or plum-toned smokey eyes is great for a night out. For a neutral day-time look, use shimmery pinkish-purple eyeshadow on the lids with dark eggplant purple eyeshadow in the crease. Pair this eye makeup with peachy-pink lips. Here are some great selections of purple and plum eyeshadows for amber eyes.
- Make Up Forever #160 (Eggplant purple)
- L’Oréal Infallible Eyeshadow Perpetual Purple (Violet purple with multicolor shimmer)
- Mac Plum Dressing (Plum eyeshadow with veluxe pearl finish)
- Mac Stars ‘n Rockets (Violet pink eyeshadow)
- Urban Decay’s Psychedelic Sister (Reddish purple with violet sheen)
Palettes that contain some amazing collection of purples include Yves Saint Laurent Ombres 5 Lumières Lilac Sky, Lancome Color Design Shadow & Liner Palette: Amethyst Glam, and Bobbi Brown Peony & Python Eye Palette.
Choose Bronze and Copper Eyeshadows
Bring out the green flecks in your amber eyes by highlighting it with deep gold, bronze, and copper eyeshadow. Instead of black smokey eyes, which can look extremely stark on amber eyes, try the bronze and metallic smokey eye look. Layer a shimmery light-brown eyeshadow on the lids. Use a darker brown in the crease and the outer corner. Blend the eyeshadows well to create a flawless look. Here are some gorgeous copper and brown eyeshadows that make amber eyes look beautiful.
- NARS Isolde Duo (Frosted brown and medium copper with sheen)
- MAC Amber Lights (Warm-toned copper bronze)
- Maybelline Color Tattoo Bad to Bronze (Metallic bronze with sheen)
- Stila Baked Eyeshadow Trio Bronze Glow (Metallic shades of bronze)
- Giorgio Armani Eyes To Kill Intense Eyeshadow, #28 (Sparkling copper-bronze)
Opt for Earthy Greens and Gray
Earthy greens paired with bronze or gold look fabulous on amber eyes. For green eye makeup, apply a golden cream base using a cream eyeshadow, like the Maybelline Bold Gold Color Tattoo Cream eyeshadow all over the lids and just short of the crease. On the lids, apply a green eyeshadow. Use a highlighter in the inner corners and brow bone. Use a dark copper shade to extend the shadow upwards and darken the crease.
A gray-brown eyeshadow or a frosty taupe would look amazing on amber eyes. Pair them with dark browns and burgundy to create a smoldering, dramatic look. Some amazing green eyeshadows for amber eyes include:
- Mac Humid eyeshadow (Rich pigmented dark green)
- Mac Juxt eyeshadow (Yellow-based green)
- Mac Sumptuous Olive eyeshadow (Olive green)
- Shiseido Makeup Luminizing Satin Eye Color in GR 711- Serpent (Army green)
Best Eyeliner Shades
To create depth to your eyes and define them, use an eyeliner. Instead of using a jarring color like black, use a dark brown eyeliner for a more natural look. For a dramatic look, use a deep purple, navy blue, or a dark forest-green eye pencil to line your eyes. The eyeliner can be used on its own or after using an eyeshadow to create a dramatic effect.
Some amazing eyeliners for amber eyes are:
- Brown (Example: Dolce & Gabbana The Eyeliner Crayon Intense in Coffee)
- Green (Example: Yves Saint Laurent Eye Pencil in 5)
- Purple (Example: Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Lust)
Best Mascara Shades
While eyeshadows and eyeliners may work fine for amber eyes, do not skip the mascara. Not only does it amp the lashes, but also makes the eyes pop. Apart from black and brown mascara, try colors, like purple, green, and burgundy, that flatter your eye color.
Some amazing mascara shades include:
- Purple (Example: Chanel Inimitable Intense Mascara, Purple)
- Green (Example: MAC Green is Green Zoom Lash Mascara)
- Black (Example: Maybelline The Falsies Black Drama Mascara)
- Brown (Example: Benefit Bad Gal Brown Mascara)
If you are opting for natural eye makeup, then opt for bright lips with coral or raspberry red. Bold eye makeup should be paired with soft, peachy pink lips. Along with the eye color, you also need to consider the skin tone and hair color when choosing the best eye makeup for amber eyes.