Cosmetic surgery is a kind of operation done mostly without any health reasons. In this BeautiSecrets article, you will learn some facts about cosmetic surgery.
The history of cosmetic surgery as we know of it today can be traced back to the early part of the 19th century. During World War I, American surgeons performed surgery on the injured soldiers of the war to reconstruct any functional damage caused due to injuries. They performed various surgeries like skin grafting on burned skin, mending a broken jaw, etc. Today, cosmetic surgery has progressed by leaps and bounds.
Today, it is not only used for restoration of any malformations of the body caused by any accidents, but also used for enhancing one’s appearance. Before moving on to the facts, let us first understand what exactly cosmetic surgery is.
Many people are not happy with certain features of their body, so they wish to change the shape or size of that feature to enhance their looks. This change can be brought about successfully with the help of surgery. It can help you achieve the kind of look you would want to see in yourself. However, it may happen that the surgery may not turn out to be the way you had imagined.
- Another type is known as cosmetic plastic surgery, which is done to rectify the flaws in order to improve one’s image. It could be a big nose, wrinkles on face, bad shape of the lips, or size of the breasts. Cosmetic surgery has a solution to all these problems. Liposuction is another form of cosmetic surgical procedures, which is immensely popular. This is done on those who are suffering from obesity or excessive accumulation of fat in the body. It is used to get rid of fat deposits from all such areas from where fat cannot be removed by just following a diet and exercise.
- There are many different techniques that are used in cosmetic surgery. Reconstructive surgery is one type which is carried out in order to repair any deep scar or distorted body part occurred due to some surgery, disease, injury, or by birth. This kind of problem is a serious concern for those who actually have them. Sometimes, it badly affects the self-confidence of a person. In others, this kind of mark may restrict them from socializing, getting a particular job for themselves, or prevent them from doing some activities they would like to indulge in. Facelifts are also a common surgery nowadays, which help a person to look slimmer and younger on the face.
- Botox is a non-surgical cosmetic surgery, which is used to revitalize the wrinkled facial skin with the help of injections. Another form involves laser treatment which is often used for acne scar removal.
- In the year 2006, nearly 11 million and in 2007, 12 million cosmetic surgeries were performed in the United States alone.
- According to the survey conducted by ASAPS in 2010, 9,336,814 surgeries were performed in the US, out of which 1,622,290 were surgical.
- Between 2012-2013, there was a 6.5% increase in the total number of cosmetic surgeries in the US.
- In 2013, there were over 11 million surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures conducted in the US.
- In ancient Rome, plastic surgeries were conducted as a means to get rid of the scars as they considered it shameful and it implied that a man had turned his back during the war.
- The first plastic surgery on nose was performed in India in 600 B.C. The skin from other parts of the body was removed and used for reshaping the nose.
- According to a survey conducted in the year 2005 by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), the most popular surgical cosmetic surgeries are liposuction, breast augmentation, cosmetic eyelid surgery, nose reshaping and abdominoplasty or tummy tuck.
- Among the non-surgical cosmetic surgeries, botox and laser treatment tops the list of popularity. Cosmetic surgery is a very expensive process. Hence, it is done by those people who are in a very high income group.
- Statistics revealed that it is the women who undergo cosmetic surgery to bring about improvement in their physical structure. More than 90 percent of the surgery are carried out on women. Though the number of men undergoing this type of surgery is increasing every year.
- People who are mostly in the age group of 35-50 years go in for cosmetic surgery and account for 42% of the total number of cosmetic surgeries. Those in the age group of 19-34 years come next with 18% of the total surgeries.
One of the most important features of cosmetic surgery is that one should choose the surgeon after a thorough check of his credentials. Cosmetic surgery can be done by any surgeon. There is no regulation as such on the surgeons who can perform the surgery, therefore, one should be extremely careful. One can take the reference from friends and the past clients of the concerned surgeon too, to have a fair idea about his work and success stories.