Stick to organic, cold pressed, extra virgin coconut oil rather than using refined ones.
Skin care products can be expensive, let it be a lip balm, sunscreen, or even a face mask. But those who are low on cash need not worry, you too can nurture and take care of your skin by using inexpensive and effective home remedies. Making your own face mask has its own advantages, you will be using skin-friendly products, and also saving big bucks. You also reduce the risk of exposing your skin to chemicals and harmful ingredients contained in many commercial products.
Coconut oil Benefits
Coconut oil is filled with many antioxidants and healthy acids like lauric, mystiric, capric, and caprylic. It is also filled with Vitamin C, and E, which helps to fight free radicals that promote premature aging. Moreover, it also protects your skin against harmful UV rays. This oil helps to make our skin soft and smooth, and conditions and hydrates our skin. It contains a small molecular structure, due to which oil can penetrate easily into our skin, improving skin texture and making it soft.
Coconut oil is perfect for acne prone skin. Due to its antibacterial properties, it can be an ideal base for homemade face masks. This is one of the reasons you should be 'besties' with coconut oil. Oil cleansing method uses coconut oil or mineral oil to dissolve oil in our skin in an effort to keep our skin hydrated and clean. But these face masks are also beneficial for other skin types too.
Coconut Oil Face Mask Recipes
There are endless number of ingredients that can be mixed with coconut oil, but you can simply apply virgin coconut oil to get rid of acne scars. Simply dab few drops of coconut oil on the affected area for 10 minutes, and rinse it off with cold water. Following are some simple homemade coconut face mask recipes using household ingredients.
- Mix 1 tbsp. coconut oil with 1 tsp. baking soda and form a paste, apply on your face.
- Rub gently with your fingers, in a circular motion, for 5-10 minutes.
- Wash off the mask with cold water, and pat dry your face with clean facial towel.
- In a mixing bowl, add coconut oil and turmeric powder, stir it thoroughly to form a paste.
- Mash ½ ripe banana with the back of a fork or spoon.
- Mix all the ingredients together, apply the mask on your face for a good 15 minutes.
- Wash your face with cool water, and pat dry.
- Put oatmeal in a bowl and pour enough water to get a paste-like consistency.
- Mix coconut oil with oatmeal, and stir well.
- Slather it on your face, and exfoliate your skin by gently rubbing it in a circular motion. Let it stay for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off and dry your face with a clean towel.
- Mix both ingredients to form a paste.
- Apply it on your clean face, and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Later, rinse it off with cold water, and pat dry.
- Take a ripe avocado, slice it into ¼th part, remove the skin and mash the section with a blender, or you can use a fork or a spoon.
- In the same container, mix nutmeg, and coconut oil to form a paste, slather a thick layer on your face.
- Keep it on for 15 minutes, wash it off with cold water, or you can use a warm washcloth and wipe your skin with a soft towel.
- Combine all the contents in a mixing bowl.
- Apply the mixture on your clean face, and let the mask stay on for 10 minutes.
- Wash off with cold water, and wipe your face with a clean towel.
- Mix both ingredients thoroughly until a clear serum-like texture is formed.
- Spread it evenly on your face before going to bed.
- Next morning, wash off the serum, and you will start noticing the difference.
- Mix coconut oil and white sugar properly until a thick paste is formed.
- Now, add grapefruit juice, grapefruit zest, grapefruit oil and peppermint oil in the above paste.
- Combine until the mixture is well blended and fluffy.
- Spread it on your face, and leave it for about 15 minutes. Wash it properly with cold water and pat dry.
- Extra face mask mixture can be applied on hands, neck, and legs.
- Do not apply around the eye area.
- Test the mask on a small portion on the inside of your forearm to see if you are allergic to any of the ingredients.
- Make only a small amount of face mask, and use it quickly.