Everyone wishes to have skin that is radiant, blemish free, and glowing with good health. An average women spends thousands of dollars on skin care products in her lifetime to get that perfect skin. An important step in skin care regimen that most people overlook is exfoliation. No matter what kind of skin type you have, regular exfoliation is very essential. A good cleanser removes accumulated dirt and grime from your skin, but it does not remove dead skin and oils that are present in your pores. For this, you need an exfoliator. Many people wrongly believe that exfoliators are only for oily skin, and people with dry skin do not require them. But that is not true, as dry skin is prone to wrinkles and fine lines, and a gentle exfoliator that is specifically formulated for this skin type is very necessary. It will help to even out your skin tone, remove dead cells, and make your skin smooth and radiant.
Facial Exfoliator for Dry Skin
People with dry skin should use a facial exfoliator once a week. It should be mild and have hydrating properties, which will help remove impurities from the skin without making your skin flaky. The best exfoliator for dry skin is one that has micro-crystals in it that are not too abrasive in nature. Avoid any exfoliator that comes with tough granules, as these will abrade your skin and make it inflamed. Choose a foaming exfoliator instead of a gel-based one. You also need to know how to use an exfoliator in the right way. First, wet your face and neck with water, and take a pea-sized amount of exfoliator on your hands. Rub it on your face with a gentle, circular motion, avoiding the eye area, for two to three minutes. Wash off with water, and pat dry your face with a towel. Follow this up with a good moisturizer, and you will notice that your skin is glowing. Some good exfoliators that are suitable for dry skin are:
- Dermologica Gentle Cream Exfoliant
- Clinique Gentle Exfoliator
- Fresh Sugar Face Polish
- Molton Brown Skin Clear Jade Face Exfoliator
- Clarins Face Exfoliator
- Channel Deep Purifying Exfoliating Mousse
Homemade Exfoliator for Dry Skin
If you want to use a natural exfoliator instead of the synthetic ones, then here are a few homemade exfoliators that you can try:
- Use 4 tablespoons of olive oil with 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar, and rub this mixture in circular motions over your skin. The sugar crystals help exfoliate the skin, while the olive oil moisturizes the skin. Wash this mixture off with cold water, and apply a light moisturizing lotion.
- Mix equal quantities of baking soda and coarse sea salt. Moisten your face with water, and apply this dry mixture on your skin in gentle circular motions for two to three minutes. Wash off with water, and pat dry with a towel.
- Take 2 tablespoons of coarse sea salt in a small bowl, and add 4 tablespoons of honey to it. Rub this mixture on your face, and wash it off with water to see radiant and glowing skin.
- Mix some oatmeal with ground almonds and avocado pulp. Mash it to a smooth paste with a spoon, and rub it on your skin. Avocado will hydrate your skin, and oatmeal will remove dirt and oils from your skin. Wash off with water.