Hyaluronic acid, is also referred to as hyaluronan, which is a polymer. The size of its molecules varies, and the effect of the acid might depend on the size of the molecules. This substance occurs naturally in the human body and all other living organisms. It is present in the connective and skin tissues, as well as fluids around the eyes and surrounding cartilage, and joints. Basically, it is found in the soft connective tissues. Hyaluronic acid is mainly found in the dermis of the skin, and it forms an important part of the skin matrix. It consists beautifying properties, which help in keeping the skin healthy.
Lack of this acid causes wrinkles on the face, and may also be the cause for loss of skin elasticity. The climate of your residential area also plays a significant role in determining the amount of the acid present in the skin tissues.
- It keeps your skin young and wrinkle-free.
- The ability to retain water and keeping the skin moist, are some other major uses. Moisturizers contain this acid because it has the ability to retain water and hold moisture.
- It helps in keeping the skin smooth and supple.
- Hyaluronic acid is also useful in eliminating acne scars.
- Repairing tissues and maintaining elasticity is one of the benefits of hyaluronan. Aging of the skin is, therefore, prevented by its use.
- It helps in providing support to the body tissues, which help in adding structural component to the skin and giving it volume and shape.
- It helps in the formation and maintenance of collagen fibers. Depletion of collagen causes the skin to lose its elasticity.
- As we grow older, the rate at which cell mitosis takes place decreases, thus degrading the cellular regeneration and repair process. Presence of hyaluronan helps in reversing the condition.
- It also helps to fight skin inflammation and irritation.
In order to increase the amount of hyaluronan in the skin, some people opt for certain gels and serums. However, there are thin chances of these gels actually reaching the dermis. The skin creams containing this acid are effective only if they reach the dermis. Similarly, effects of hyaluronic injection are observed on the area where it is injected, and does not improve the overall look.
Apart from skin care, hyaluronan is also helpful in improving eyesight. It constitutes almost 80 percent of the human eye, and works as a shock absorber, thus preventing eye accidents. Along with eye care, it is also used for the treatment of the diseases, like, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. It lubricates and cushions the joints, which helps in healing the inflammation in that area.
Even though the amount of hyaluronic acid decreases with age, healthy diet can help to retain it. Hence, consume healthy food, retain hyaluronic acid, and get younger looking skin naturally.