Ingredients in a lip gloss determine its quality, and the look that it imparts when applied to the lips. This BeautiSecrets article lists out the ingredients and procedure for making lip gloss at home.
For any woman, a lip gloss is an indispensable makeup product that she will always carry with her. It is one of the most commonly used cosmetic products. It can either be applied directly to the lips, or applied over a coat of lip balm or a shade of lipstick that compliments its shade. Different types and flavors of lip gloss are readily available, and sold under various brand names. All of them have almost similar ingredients with just a few of the ingredients that may vary.
- Petroleum jelly
- Carnauba wax
- Synthetic preservatives (Parabens)
- Colorants (Iron oxide, titanium dioxide)
- Flavor (Vanilla, chocolate, etc.)
- Oil (Castor oil, mineral oil, vitamin E oil, jojoba oil)
The synthetic preservatives and carmine (obtained from a cochineal insect) that lip gloss could be harmful for use on the lips. Concerns have been raised regarding the use of parabens due to the risk of breast cancer. Also, carmine, if ingested, can cause skin allergies and rashes. Thus, before you buy cosmetic products, make sure that you look at the list of ingredients before you purchase one.
Instructions for Making Lip Gloss at Home
Ingredients and Procedure
Things You Will Require
- Beeswax (grated), 4 tablespoons
- Essential oil (any), 8 to 10 drops
- Honey, 1 tablespoon
- Almond oil (sweet), ¼ cup
- Petroleum jelly, ¼ teaspoon
- Candy melts or food coloring agents (for the desired color)
- Zip lock bag
- Measuring spoon or cup
- Small lip balm tube/tub
- Grate beeswax into a microwave safe bowl.
- Add almond oil, essential oil, honey, and petroleum jelly to beeswax.
- Place the bowl in a microwave and heat for about a minute.
- Remove the bowl and add the coloring agent or the flavoring agent to this mixture.
- For the desired flavor, you can add honey, lime juice, melted chocolate, vanilla essence, etc.
- You can add some glitter to the mixture.
- Stir well and place it in the microwave. Heat it for a couple of minutes.
- Pour the entire mixture into a zip lock bag, make a small slit in the bag and pour the mixture into the lip balm tub. Let it stay for at least a day before you use it.
On a concluding note, the ingredients used in the aforementioned recipe are safe, natural, and healthy, unlike some of the chemicals that are used in commercially available lip gloss. So, follow the aforementioned instructions to create lip gloss at home.