A lot of people are trying out the kaolin clay mask instead of using chemical products to beautify skin. A clay facial treatment removes the dirt, harmful toxins, black or white heads, and excessive oil from the skin, making your skin spotless and beautiful. It also promotes blood circulation, leading to a glowing complexion. Being one of the natural skin care agents, it rejuvenates the skin through exfoliation. You need to choose the right clay for your skin type to get the desired results.
French Clay: It consists of montmorillonite which is effective in absorbing oil and toxins from the skin.
Rose Clay: It consists of iron oxides and has cleansing properties to help in skin exfoliation and rejuvenation.
White Clay: It is essentially a kaolinite, also known as china clay, and is ideal for sensitive skin. It does not absorb oil and hence, is ideal for dry skin.
Yellow Clay: It has the same properties as white clay and is ideal for people with sensitive, normal, and dry skin.
Rhassoul Clay: This is found in the Atlas mountains, and is widely used in beauty spas. It softens the skin and works wonders on inflamed areas.
Fuller's Earth Clay: Its regular application helps in lightening the skin tone. It also absorbs excessive oil from the skin and hence, is ideal for oily skin.
The above types are increasingly used in various beauty products such as facial skincare products, body powders, bath wash, soaps, and lotions.
You can prepare various face packs at home, using these clays as ingredients. Here are some of the popular kaolin face mask recipes:
For Acne Prone Skin
- French green clay, 4 tbsp.
- Dried bay leaves, 5
- Water, 1 cup
- First, keep the water to boil.
- Add bay leaves to it.
- Boil the mixture till it becomes half a cup, and then, add it to the clay to form a thick paste.
- Apply this mask on the face, and leave it to dry for 20 minutes.
- Now, wash your face with warm water, and dry gently.
- China clay, 3 tbsp.
- Lavender flowers, 2 tbsp.
- Chamomile flowers, 2 tbsp.
- Colloidal oatmeal, ¼ cup
- Honey/water/floral water/herbal water (as mixing agent)
- Grind all the flowers into a fine powder.
- Mix all the ingredients together, using one of the mixing agents.
- Apply this paste, and leave to dry for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with warm water.
- White clay, 3 tbsp.
- Bentonite, 1/2 tbsp.
- Glycerin, ½ tbsp.
- Water/Hydrosol, 5 tbsp.
- Rose essence, 2 drops
- Mix all the ingredients well, and make a thick paste.
- Apply it on the face, and let it dry for 20 minutes.
- Wash your face with warm water, and dry gently with a cotton cloth.
- As options for a mixing agent, you can use rose water, rose oil, lemon juice, yogurt, and aloe vera gel, as per your skin type.
- While mixing, always make a smooth paste that is free of any clots.
- Do not make the paste very watery or very thick, so that it is easy to apply.
- Tie your hair before applying the mask, and always use a mask brush.
- Do not keep the mask on the face for more than the prescribed time. It can have adverse effects on the skin if kept for a longer duration than necessary.
- Apply a mild toner after washing off the mask.