One of the most popular ways to remove unwanted body hair is by waxing. However, waxing at a salon can be quite expensive. So, a better option would be to opt for at-home waxing.
All women prefer to have soft, smooth, and hair-free skin, particularly on hands, legs, and back. Although there are numerous hair removal methods, waxing is one of the most effective. The results are not only long-lasting but this method of hair removal also helps in removing tan and dead cells. You can get your skin waxed from any beauty salon. But regular waxing can leave your purse a lot lighter. If you wish to save your hard-earned money, you should consider learning to wax at home.
Procedure for Waxing at Home
To wax at home, you need a few items that you can purchase from any beauty store.
- Box of hot wax
- Electric heater (specifically designed for the purpose)
- Disposable strips or thick cotton cloth (cut into strips)
- Before you start waxing, your skin needs to be squeaky clean. Wash your skin with water to remove dirt, grime, and natural oils. Pat dry skin with a towel.
- Take some amount of hot wax and put it in the electric heater. The wax will start melting. When it has a honey-like consistency, you can take it off the electric heater.
- Dip the spatula into the melted wax. Keep the spatula over the electric heater so as to remove excess of wax sticking to it.
- Next, you need to do a patch test to make sure that the wax is not too hot and is suitable for your skin. Some people with sensitive skin might suffer from redness and swelling.
- To do the patch test, apply a small amount of wax on your leg or arm with the spatula. Remove wax after a couple of seconds. If there is no swelling or redness, then the wax can be used for removing unwanted hair.
- Spread a layer of wax on your skin with the spatula. Make sure that you apply wax in the direction of hair growth.
- Place the disposable strip or cotton cloth, whichever you have selected, on the layer of the wax. Press the strip firmly with your hand in the direction of hair growth.
- Hold one end of the strip with your hand and pull it off in one go in the direction opposite to hair growth.
- You will feel a sudden, sharp pain. However, pain will subside within a couple of seconds.
- Once you are done waxing a particular area, move on to another area.
Tips for Waxing at Home
To have smooth legs and arms, here are a few tips that you should keep in mind.
- Do not moisturize your legs or arms before waxing. Moisturizers inhibit the wax from sticking evenly on the skin.
- It is a good idea to exfoliate your skin before you start waxing. This will remove dead skin cells and will also prevent any ingrowth.
- While applying the wax, blow on it so that the temperature of the wax is comfortable on your skin.
- Keep the skin taut while applying the wax with the spatula. This will help in the even application of wax.
- You may try numbing the skin before waxing to reduce pain during hair removal. You can use a skin numbing cream that is available in any medical store. Skin numbing creams will reduce the sensitivity of the skin, and will make hair removal less painful.
- If you have trouble pulling off the disposable strip, consider applying some talcum powder on your skin. This will help in easy removal of the strip.
- If a few hair still remains after waxing, do not go over the same area again and again. This will only aggravate the skin and lead to painful inflammation.
- Waxing will not be very efficient, if your hair is too short or too long. Wax cannot adhere to hair that is too short and if hair is too long, then waxing will be painful. Ideally, hair should be between ¼th to ¾th inches.
- While removing the waxing strip, remove it one quick motion. Do not yank it too quickly or you will injure your skin.
- Always wash the area you have waxed thoroughly to remove any wax residue.
- Moisturize your skin after waxing to prevent dryness or redness.
- Never try to wax your facial hair by using this method of hair removal as you might burn your skin.
Waxing at home is not very difficult, once you master the techniques and have enough practice. If you are not very comfortable using hot wax, you can use cold wax or wax kits that are available in cosmetic stores.