The face, hands, shoulders, and arms are the areas of the body which are prone to develop age spots. This article discusses the use of various age spot removal creams.
Age spots can be brown, black, and gray in color. They are usually flat and are also known as ‘liver spots’. These spots develop on areas that are highly exposed to the sun. They are commonly observed in people above 40 years of age; however, they do affect young people as well. These spots are benign, and thus do not give rise to any medical complication which may attract the need of aggressive age spot treatment procedures. However, some of them may mimic the appearance of cancerous growths. They are more of a cosmetic concern rather than medical. There are myriad of products available in the market to treat this condition, and one of them is the age spot removal cream.
Best Cream Selection
Age spots can be minimized with the help of age spot removal creams. The skin has to replace the old-skin cells by new-skin cells to get rid of age spots. Therefore, there has to be an exfoliation process in the body. This process can be stimulated once the body gets sufficient nutrients such as vitamin C and vitamin A. Therefore, the most effective age spot removal cream must be the one whose active ingredients are rich in these two vitamins.
Apart from these, you must also ensure that the cream contains hydroquinone (aromatic organic compound) to increase the efficacy of the product. This agent works by producing a lightening effect on the skin, thus helping the age spots to fade away. Retinol, glycolic acid, and liquorice are the other requirements of this cream. Since the skin tone differs from person to person, depending upon your skin type, you must select a cream that would be the most suitable for you.
A dermatologist’s advice is imperative to help you get the appropriate product. According to most consumer reviews, some of the best skin creams to manage age spots are:
- Ambi Fade Cream Oily Skin
- Arbonne Revelage Age Spot Brightening Hand Therapy with SPF 30
- Biotique Coconut Milk Cream for Skin Discoloration and Age Spots
- Dermisa Skin Fade Cream
- Esoterica Daytime Fade Cream
- Nadinola Extra-Strength Skin Discoloration Fade Cream
- Nutra Luxe MD Sun/Age Spot Remover Pen
- Palmers Skin Success Eventone Skin Fade Cream
- Porcelana Skin Lightening Cream Night
The creams that are prescribed by a doctor contain hydroquinone, and when used in conjunction with retinoids and a mild steroid, help in fading the age spots over time. Also, while using all such medicated creams, protection from sun’s exposure becomes a must.
Following are some of the home remedies:
- Apply fresh lemon juice on the affected areas. The acidic property of the juice acts as a natural-bleaching agent. After applying it, wait of 15 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water. This method, when repeated for two consecutive months, twice a day, appreciably helps in fading the spots.
- You can get the same benefit by using aloe vera juice. Use it twice everyday. After a few months, you would notice gradual changes in the skin.
- Mix onion juice with apple cider vinegar (equal parts). Use a cotton ball and dab the solution to the spots. This is also one of the popular home remedies.
Some people also benefit from microdermabrasion and chemical peels. The former is a technique which helps in getting rid of unnecessary dead skin while the latter involves a solution of glycolic acid which is applied on to the skin. After a few hours, it is peeled off along with the dead-skin cells, thereby reducing the age spots.
No matter which cream you use, you need to give the product sufficient time to work. Do not expect immediate results as it usually takes prolonged application of the cream before you notice any positive results.
Disclaimer: This BeautiSecrets article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.