Blotchy marks are mostly red, brown or white in color. There are several factors that can contribute towards this problem. They are: direct exposure to the sun for a long time, diseases like eczema or psoriasis, hormonal changes, aging and so on. White patches can also result from dehydration, side effects of medicines, or allergic reactions towards some chemicals present in beauty products. Sometimes, lack of nutritious diet or unhealthy lifestyle can also lead to blotches.
When it is caused by psoriasis or eczema, red facial patches turn out to be very itchy, and thick scales are formed on them. In such cases, doctors need to be consulted for the medical treatment of the skin condition. They prescribe corticosteroid ointments for topical application which can reduce the skin inflammation and provides relief from scaly, itchy skin.
Vitiligo is the medical term used to describe white patches on face. It is mostly caused when the cells responsible for the formation of protective skin pigment fail to produce it. The aim of the treatment is to restore the original skin color on the affected spots. Mild form of topical corticosteroid creams are highly effective for this purpose. However, it has to be applied regularly for at least 3 months before any signs of improvement can be observed.
It may take more than six months to get rid of those white spots completely. People with vitiligo are advised to avoid direct sun exposure and if they have to they should use sunscreen to protect the skin from harmful effects of sun. Vitamin B deficiency is often responsible for causing blotches. Therefore, oral intake of vitamin supplements after consulting a doctor is good. Water helps in cleansing the body by flushing out the toxins. So, drink plenty of water. For facial skin care, do not use harsh cleansers, hard scrubs, skin toner and greasy face creams.
Red or brown blotches are found in middle-aged women in the age group of 30 to 50. Those women who have fair skin complexion and have a sensitive skin are more prone to it. These marks do not require any treatment and can disappear on their own. Here are some remedies that will ensure fast removal:
- If the blotches are slightly itchy, opt for a cold compression. It relieves the itchiness and burning sensation. Most importantly, avoid scratching the skin to prevent skin infection.
- The medicinal properties can cure the intrinsic causes that lead to these blotches. Mix about half teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of warm water and stir it well. Drink this solution twice a day till the patches disappear.
- For direct application, make a paste of common salt and mustard oil. Apply it twice daily to yield maximum benefits.
Some people get prominent blotches only in summer months. These spots appear on those areas where the skin cells does not get tanned on sun exposure. Following are some remedies to eliminate them:
- Banana has some essential qualities that can help to get rid of white spots on face. Take an overripe banana, mash it well to make a thick paste. Apply it on the face in the form of a thin coat. Wait for a few minutes and then, rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Prepare a facial mask using one egg yolk, one teaspoon of olive oil, one teaspoon of orange juice and a few drops of rose water and lemon juice. Stir well so that all ingredients blend with each other properly. Apply this paste on the face and leave it untouched for about 20 minutes and then, wash off with water.
- White patches should be treated with almond oil. This is because, it has natural property to moisturize the skin and eliminate dryness. Massage warm almond oil on the face and allow it to stay on the face overnight. Next morning, after washing your face, you will find that its hydrating effect has reduced the appearance of the spot.
Once the ugly marks are gone, you have to bring about changes in your diet and lifestyle in order to prevent their reappearance. Junk food, sugary food and alcohol should be strictly avoided. Try to avoid going out in the sun. If you have to go outdoors in daytime, then apply sunscreen lotion generously before stepping out and spend minimum time under direct sunlight.