Dry and scaly skin is not a serious skin disorder as it can completely or partially be recovered with some simple skin care measures. However, if the skin disorder is not treated in time, it can worsen the condition and lead to cracks in the skin, which can even bleed. This can attract bacteria and cause further skin infection, which needs a dermatologists treatment.
There are many factors which can cause dry skin, this condition is greatly affected by your age, by your diet and, by the climatic conditions around you. People who are over 65 may suffer more from dry skin problems. Dry patches are more frequent around arms, lower legs, and on the sides of the abdomen. But, a person might experience these patches on face or around mouth especially during the winter season. Also, low humidity levels can strip off the moisturize from the skin and lead to dryness.
If you are not following a good balanced diet, then it is possible the skin might get affected. Another reason contributing to this condition is taking frequent baths. Bathing for long or use of soaps frequently tends to strip the skin off moisturize. Hence moisturizing after taking a shower is highly recommended, here are tips that will help you to keep your skin healthy, moisturized, and supple.
Skin Care Tips
Our skin is our first defense against infections, hence maintain a healthy skin to maintain good health. Here are tips and tricks that will help you in moisturizing the skin to get rid of the dry skin on face and body.
- First of all limit your time in the shower to 15 minutes maximum. Avoid taking bath several times a day, if you do wish to take a second bath during the day, then just wash your skin with water and areas like genitals and underarms with a soap. This is especially good for extremely dry skin. Many soaps tend to rip the moisture from skin, so use a nice soap for dry skin, like Dove or Neutrogena.
- After you are done with your bath, pat your skin and do not rub. Then apply moisturizer all over the body. For dry skin, pure oils work the best. Use 100% natural olive oil for your body, if you feel it is too greasy for the face skin then use jojoba oil for face and neck skin.
- If you want to moisturize your skin quickly after bath then use this tip. Fill a platic mug ¾ with warm water and add 15 - 20 drops of olive oil to it and swish the water well. Then pour the water over your wet skin and in seconds the whole skin will get moisturized.
- If you are going out, then you can consider carrying a soap-free cleanser like Neutrogena and a light moisturizer with you. You can use this to wash your face in case you have acne-prone skin and wish to keep it clean.
- There are many moisturizers for dry skin, but the natural oils work best as they are greasy. Also, they don't contain any chemicals and are good for sensitive skin.
- During winters lips tend to dry out faster, carrying a lip balm with you will help you to moisturize the lips frequently. If you have scaly skin on a particular skin region, then apply moisturizer to that skin area twice a day, till the skin area gets better.
Disclaimer: This BeautiSecrets article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.