Dry skin is recognizable because it feels tight and has a dull appearance. If you have dry skin, it means that your skin has less water in it than what is required. This could also be because of the pollutants or the stress that is prevalent in our daily lives. Dry skin also tends to age quickly, and if you do not take proper care, fine lines or wrinkles can appear around the face even at an early age.
So, how does one take care of it? Here are some tips, which can be tried out not only with the help of cosmetics, but also by changing a few habits in your daily schedule.
- Firstly, people with dry skin need to wash with a cleanser once a day only. Cleansers can sometimes strip away the natural moisturizing elements from the skin. If needed, these can preferably be used at night so that the skin gets a chance to replenish itself. Splash cool water on your face the first thing in the morning.
- If you are accustomed to using soap even on your face, ensure you completely wash off all the residue. This is because soaps can leave a thin film on it. You can go in for a mild oatmeal soap that will gently exfoliate your skin. Do not use this on an everyday basis.
- Cut down on your bath time and number of times you turn on the showers! Try to limit your showers to one per day. Use warm water for your bath instead of hot water. You can sponge yourself clean if you feel the need to refresh yourself during the day.
- Use alcohol-free cleaning lotions or toners that will gently refresh your skin without causing any kind of irritation.
- Most people are not aware that dry skin also requires you to be careful with the way you use your towels. Use soft towels and pat your skin dry, rubbing it is a huge no no!
- Once you finish your shower, ensure you use virgin coconut oil or cocoa butter all over your body. These contain natural nourishing ingredients, essential oils, and vitamins that are needed for the skin. This would help to heal and deeply moisturize it.
- Moisturizers should be applied to the skin whilst it is damp. When choosing the moisturizers, look for products with ingredients, such as glycerin, lactic acids, lanolin derivatives, alpha hydroxyl acids, etc.
- Keep a safe distance from steam baths and saunas. These can tend to make your skin lose all the natural moisture and further dry it up.
- Houses that are overheated or the prolonged use of air-conditioners can also rob your skin from its natural moisture. Ensure you maintain the right levels of humidity in your home or office.
- Exercise! Maintain a daily exercise routine of 30 minutes. This helps to increase the blood flow and increase the supply of oxygen and nutrients to the skin, which will help to keep it firm and fresh in appearance throughout the day.
By nourishing it with these tips and maintaining a healthy routine, you can have a soft, smooth, and supple skin at all times. Time to kiss kin problems goodbye!