A dry skin rash, that too on the face, is quite common during the winter months, when the humidity drops below the average level and the indoor temperature remains high. The two triggering factors are frequent exposure to environmental factors and excessive washing. Thus, facial skin is more susceptible to dry rashes than other portions of the body. In most cases of dry skin rash on chin or other facial areas, improvement signs are observed with proper facial skin care approaches.
Truly speaking, there is no exact cause. While some people develop it only during dry climatic conditions, others have it anytime, irrespective of the environmental factors. These rashes on face are commonly manifested in babies and toddlers. Since they have very sensitive skin, a short spell of dry condition can cause cracks, peels, rashes, and alike skin disorders. Another triggering factor for rashes in babies is the use of strong skin formulations.
In general, people who have very dry skin are prone to itchy rashes. However, it can also be caused due to eczema and contract dermatitis. If skin dryness is the root cause, the problem can be combated effectually with regular skin care regimen. Another common reason is regular use of skin care products that cause dryness. For example; frequent use of aggressive soaps that are formulated for decreased oil production, washes away natural oils from the face, thus increasing the risk for developing rashes.
Although dry skin rash on nose or other facial areas is not so serious, it is not recommended to self diagnose or treat this skin condition. Of course, you can follow home remedies to get rid of it. But, it is necessary that you get the condition checked by a qualified dermatologist before using any therapeutic medications.
- Both unwashed face or frequent face washing can lead to dry skin rashes. Ideally, face washing should be done with cold water thrice in a day (first morning, after meal, and before going to bed).
- Apply a good moisturizer on your face, twice daily. This will help in softening and conditioning skin. Make sure that the skin moisturizer product is fragrance free and based on natural ingredients.
- Try to identify the allergic factors for causing dry skin rash on face and avoid them. Exposure to bright sunlight causes damaging effects to skin. Thus, you should apply cream with sun protection factor, whenever you step out of home.
- If you have dry or sensitive skin, do not use perfume loaded or alkaline soaps. Instead, you can opt for soap and perfume-free facial cleaners for regular cleaning.
- During dry winter months, using a humidifier will help maintain the normal humidity levels. This is not only beneficial for reducing rashes on face, but using a humidifier is good for treating breathing problems.
- For men, the main cause for skin rash on face is the use of aftershave cream that contains alcohol as one of its ingredients. As far as possible, stay away from alcohol-based skin formulations or makeup items.
- Last but not the least, drink plenty of water everyday to keep the skin hydrated and moist. Also, include lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, and other foods for healthy skin. Healthy eating is a sure way to maintain glowing skin.
If the dry skin rash on forehead or remaining face subsides with home remedies, you do not need further therapeutic treatment. Consulting a doctor becomes imperative if the dry skin rash on face is accompanied with severe itching and infection signs.
The dermatologist will examine the appearance of the rashes to predict the causal organism. If required, diagnostic tests are conducted to confirm infection. Based on the results, antimicrobial creams specific to the microbial group and oral medications are prescribed for treatment of facial skin rashes.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not in any way attempt to replace the advice offered by an expert on the subject.