Homemade lotion formulas are easy to make as they involve melting a few natural ingredients and mixing them at high temperatures. Once the base of the lotion is ready, you will simply have to add a few drops of fragrance or essential oils to it, and then pour it into small bottles and let it cool. The lotion will cool and thicken in a few hours and will be ready for use. You can also make multiple lotions and store them in multicolored bottles. Given below are a few homemade recipes.
Natural Lotion Recipes
The recipes mentioned below are made using natural ingredients and nothing synthetic. Once you master the art of making lotions at home, you can make your own permutations and combinations and come up with your own recipes.
For Dry Skin
With this recipe, you can make an excellent lotion for hands which have become dry either due to the weather or for any other reason.
- Almond Oil, ¾ cup
- Cocoa Butter, ⅓ cup
- Lanolin, 1 teaspoon
- Beeswax (grated), ½ oz
- Rosewater, 2/3 cup
- Aloe Vera Gel, ⅓ cup
- Rose Oil, 2 drops
- Vitamin E Capsule, 1
- Melt the almond oil, cocoa butter, lanolin, and beeswax over low heat.
- Let it cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, mix the rosewater, aloe vera gel, rose oil, and contents of the Vitamin E capsule.
- Add the rosewater mixture to the almond oil mixture and whip it together until it resembles a butter cream frosting.
- Store in a covered container.
For Oily Skin
The following is a recipe for a lotion for oily skin, which is quite rare.
- Gelatin Mix Liquid, ½ cup
- Vitamin C Tablet (500 mg), 1
- Multi-Vitamin Tablet, 1
- Glycerin, 1 teaspoon
- Seaweed, 1 teaspoon
- Alum, ¼ teaspoon
- In a blender, blend together the gelatin mix liquid, vitamin C tablet, multi-vitamin tablet, glycerin, and seaweed.
- Add the alum to the mixture after the ingredients have blended well.
- Blend it again, and store in an airtight container.
Children's skin can be sensitive, and can react to the chemicals present in commercially-made lotions and creams. Hence, it is better to use homemade lotions which are moisturizing and gentle on the skin.
- Beeswax Pellets, 2 oz
- Olive Oil, 1 oz
- Aloe Vera Gel, 1 oz
- Distilled Water, ½ oz
- Lavender Essential Oil, 10 drops
- Place the beeswax pellets in an empty coffee can, and place the coffee can in a double boiler.
- Fill the bottom of the boiler till half capacity with water and heat it over a medium heat so that the beeswax melts slowly.
- In a separate pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat but do not boil it.
- The temperature of the beeswax and olive oil will have to be the same.
- Then, pour both the beeswax and the olive oil into a blender, add the aloe vera gel, distilled water, and lavender essential oil to it, and blend for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the lotion into a glass jar and let it cool completely.
- Close the jar with its lid and store it in the refrigerator.
- You will have to store the lotion in the refrigerator as it does not contain chemical preservatives.
These are some basic lotion recipes that you can try out at home. You can make use of these recipes and add more ingredients to come up with your own unique formulas.