As in case of various beauty treatments, the origin of perfumes is also traced back to ancient Egyptians. Later, even the Romans and Persians mastered the art of perfume making. Today, it is one of the major industry, as perfumes are now available in numerous versions. However, there are rising concerns about the use of synthetic perfumes that contain certain chemicals that can be harmful to health. So, homemade perfumes can be used, if you want to get rid of such chemicals. Making perfumes at home is not a difficult task, if you know the right methods.
Making Perfume from Flowers
Method - I
This is one of the simplest recipes for making perfume using flowers. In order to prepare a homemade perfume from flowers, you require some water (2 cups) and some chopped flower petals (2 cups). You may use flowers like, rose, jasmine, sampaguita, honeysuckle, orange blossoms or any other flower with fragrance. Collect the flowers early in the morning or when they are about to open. Flowers with strong fragrance work well for making perfume at home.
- Take a bowl that is large enough to hold the chopped flowers. Place a piece of cheesecloth over the bowl in such a manner that the edges of the cloth hang outside the rim of the bowl.
- Now, place the chopped flower blossoms inside the bowl and add the water. Cover the bowl and allow it to sit overnight.
- The next morning, hold the edges of the cheesecloth and lift it in the form of a bag. The water in the bowl will have a slight scent. Squeeze the cloth bag, so that the scented water inside it is not wasted.
- Now, take a pan and pour the scented water into it. Place the pan over low heat and simmer, till the pan has three tablespoons of liquid left in it. You can store this perfume in a small glass bottle, for one month.
Method - II
This recipe is also similar to the earlier one, but has slight variations. As per this recipe, you need 2 cups of chopped flowers and four cups of distilled water.
- Place the flower petals in a glass bowl with distilled water. You may also opt for the above said cheesecloth method. Cover the bowl and let it sit overnight.
- Next morning, strain the scented water in the bowl to a pan and place it over low heat. Allow the water to simmer, till it get reduced to a few tablespoons. Now, let the concentrated scent cool, before storing in small dark-colored sterilized bottles.
- Now add five tablespoons of unscented vodka to the bottle, into which you have to add two tablespoons of concentrated flower scent.
- You may use the perfume after three to four days. Shake the bottle well before use. In case you want to make the perfume milder, add one or two tablespoons of distilled water. If you want it more strong, add a tablespoon of flower scent.
The above said are some easy methods of making perfume using flowers. You may also try essential oils, instead of flower petals. In that case, get small bottles of essential oils of your choice, along with 100 proof vodka and distilled water. Take two ounces of 100 proof vodka in a bottle and add around ten to twelve drops of essential oil of your choice (you may also use a mixture of essential oils). Let the mixture sit for two to three days, before adding two tablespoons of distilled water into the bottle. Stir well and allow to sit for three days, before use.
Now you have a fair understanding about making perfumes with flowers as well as essential oil. So, try these recipes for some unique homemade fragrances. If you have to buy flowers, then rinse them to ensure that they are free of pesticides.