Many of us don't like the shape or size of our nose; either it is too long, very narrow or short or too large. If you are blessed with a more than prominent nose which is a bit on the larger size, then you must be looking for ways to make it appear smaller. Although plastic surgery is one option that is open to you, it is both expensive and painful. So are there any other ways in which you can make your large nose appear smaller and more in proportion to your face without resorting to plastic surgery?
Yes, there is definitely a way out and that is the magic of makeup. With the right makeup tricks and tips, you can make your nose appear smaller than it actually is. This type of makeup application used for sculpting your face to enhance your features and minimize any flaws in your face structure is known as contouring. You will require some practice for mastering this corrective makeup technique. Here we will learn how to make your nose look smaller with makeup.
How to Make Nose Appear Smaller Using Makeup
Contouring your nose to make it look thinner or smaller is all about using the right makeup technique. To contour your nose to make it appear smaller, first you will need the right tools, i.e., the right makeup.
- Dark foundation, matte
- Highlighting cream
- Loose powder
- Angled blush brush
- Makeup sponge
Here are the steps that you need to follow for minimizing the appearance of a large nose with makeup.
- First, apply the darker foundation on the sides of the nose by starting from the bridge of the nose to the crease of the nostrils. It is best to choose a cream foundation since it is easy to work with. Make sure that the foundation color that you choose for contouring is at least two shades darker than your usual foundation. If you use a lighter shade of foundation, the contouring won't be noticeable and if you go any darker, your nose will look unnatural.
- Once you have applied the darker foundation to the sides of your nose, blend the foundation outward towards your cheeks with a makeup sponge. Be sure to blend the foundation very carefully near the nostrils so that the makeup looks seamless. Blending the foundation is the key to successful contouring.
- Next, apply a highlighting cream down the center of your nose in a thin line with the help of an angled blush brush.
- Next apply regular foundation over your face, making sure that you blend it perfectly along the sides of the nose and along your hairline.
- Apply bronzer on your cheekbones and the bridge of your nose. This will give your makeup a natural and sun-kissed look.
- Finally, dust some loose powder over your makeup to set the foundation. This will also ensure that your makeup lasts all day.
Makeup Tips for Minimizing a Large Nose
Outlining is not the only way by which you can make a large nose appear smaller. By highlighting some other feature of your face, you can de-emphasize and detract attention from a large nose.
- Use a glossy lip color with a hint of shimmer to draw attention to your lips. A soft shimmery lip color will also brighten up your face.
- Highlight your cheekbones by applying a soft, peachy pink blush. You can also use a bronzer to contour your cheekbones. This will help in taking away the attention from your nose.
- Choosing the right hairstyle also goes a long way in making a large nose appear smaller. Avoid slicked back hairstyles or poker straight hairstyles. Instead, opt for a loose updo or outward curling layered hairstyle. Also, avoid bangs that are cut straight across the forehead. This minimizes the length of your forehead and it draws attention to your nose.
- Avoid wearing nose rings or studs if you have a large nose. Wearing nose rings will make your nose the focus of attention.
- Another way to detract attention from your nose, is to wear dramatic eye makeup. A winged eyeliner along with plenty of mascara will look attractive and stylish.
Always check your final makeup in natural lighting to make sure that your face does not look very made up. While contouring your nose, you need to remember that dark colors tend to reduce emphasis and recede an area, while lighter colors highlight it. Ultimately, making your nose look smaller is all a matter of using the right makeup technique.