The first step that should be taken when one gets a burn injury, is to get proper treatment. This will help to heal the burn quickly and will prevent further complications. In some cases, immediate treatment can help reduce the severity of the burn scar as well. Let us start with the basic steps that one should take for getting rid of burn scars.
Ways to Get Rid of Burn Scars
#1 Apply a mixture of cold water and turmeric immediately on the affected area. This will prevent the formation of a burn scar. The cold water helps reduce the burning sensation; while the turmeric acts as a natural antiseptic. Instead of cold water, you can also use cold milk. Just press the affected area with some cotton soaked in cold milk.
#2 Do not use creams and lotions to reduce the scar immediately after the burn. Wait for the injury to heal. Use an antiseptic and antibiotic cream prescribed by the doctor to heal the burn. Bandage the burn and change the bandage twice daily. Once you are sure that the burn has healed, only then should you begin with the treatment to get rid of the burn scar.
#3 There are several home remedies for scar removal. Let us have a look at some of them.
- Aloe vera gel is one of the best remedies for the removal of burn scars. Just apply it on the scar, leave for 15-20 minutes, and wash off.
- Use of olive oil is recommended after taking a warm water bath, as the skin readily absorbs the oil, which helps in lightening the scar.
- Using vitamin E oil and massaging it thoroughly on the affected area, can also help in reducing the severity of the scar.
- Wheat germ oil is another options to get rid of burn scars faster. Apply it 2-3 times a day on the affected area.
- Massage with almond oil twice a day. Gradually, the burn scar will disappear.
- Prepare a mixture of rice powder and yogurt, and apply it on the scars.
- Apply lime juice on the affected area and leave for 10-15 minutes.
- Soak fenugreek seeds in water for a night, and the next day grind the seeds and prepare a paste. Apply this paste to the burn scar and leave the patch to dry. Then wash it off.
#4 Medications can also be used to get rid of burn scars. These medications are to be taken orally and they contain antihistamine or corticosteroids. You can even use skin patches that contain medication for lightening of burn scars. However, make sure that you consult a dermatologist or a physician if you prefer this option.
#5 Avoid exposure of the burn scar to sunlight. Use sunblock to prevent direct exposure to sunlight. Use of moisturizer is also recommended.
#6 Severe burn scars can create problems while performing daily activities. Laser treatment is one option you can use for such scars. Burn scars due to third degree burn injuries, may need this treatment. Steroid injections are also available for treating such burn scars.
Disappearing of the burn scar may take time and one should be patient during the process. Proper and regular treatment can help to get rid of the scars soon.
This BeautiSecrets article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice.