Acne is a problem that many of us face at some point in our lives. Although it's common in teenagers whose bodies are going through changes, it can affect you later in life as well. Coping with acne is difficult, but not impossible. You need to take a little extra care of your skin, and use products that are specialized to deal with your condition. That's where an acne body wash comes in. Many women are unaware that the occurrence of acne is not restricted to the face alone, and can affect your entire body. It's particularly common on the shoulders, chest, and back, though skin on your upper arms and legs may also be prone to breakouts.
Most products meant for acne control contain ingredients that have proven acne-fighting abilities. However, before you purchase one, read the ingredients' list which will give you information about the contents of that specific product.
Important Ingredients and Terms
If you're looking for a body wash for acne prone skin, there are some ingredients and terms that you should keep an eye out for.
Salicylic acid is a proven acne-fighting ingredient found in a variety of body washes. It works to remove oil, unclog pores, and exfoliate the skin. Salicylic acid is an active ingredient in most acne treatment products. It's regarded as one of the gentlest acne treating ingredients, and is suitable for those with sensitive skin. However, it may cause a drying effect on your skin. In order to counter this issue, use a light moisturizer after you take a shower. An effective acne-treating product will have a concentration of 0.5% to 2% salicylic acid.
This is an ingredient that fights the cause of acne; bacteria that live on your skin. It also helps to control oil production and aids in exfoliation of your pores. Benzoyl peroxide is sometimes regarded as a more effective preparation to fight acne since it addresses the root cause of the problem by killing bacteria, and works towards further acne prevention. However, many people do experience a certain amount of inflammation, stinging, or dryness while using a product with it. Although mild irritation is normal, if you have sensitive skin, do consult a dermatologist if the symptoms persist as you may be allergic to the product.
Pores in your skin contain sebaceous glands that produce an oily substance called sebum. Many acne cases are aggravated or even caused by excessive sebum production. Bacteria in your skin can cause irregularities in sebum production which can combine with dirt or other products to further clog your pores. An effective body wash should be oil-free as additional oil will simply add to the issue.
In layman's terms, a non-comedogenic product is one that won't clog your pores. For women who suffer from acne, choosing this type is essential to keep skin issues at bay.
Some of the products listed below have gained popularity as the most effective products for women:
- ProNexin Acne Body Wash
- Neutrogena Body Clear® Body Scrub
- Murad Acne Body Wash
- Phisoderm Anti-Blemish Body Wash
Although acne can be the result of many factors beyond your control, these are some things that you can do to ensure that you don't aggravate your skin problems:
- Keep your skin clean, and shower daily.
- Avoid wearing clothes that chafe against your skin or are very tight.
- Remove makeup completely as incomplete removal can further clog your pores. Formulate and follow a skin care routine.
- If you have an intensive fitness routine that makes you perspire, change your clothing as soon as possible. Dampness, humidity, and long periods of contact with clothing in these conditions can cause breakout.
- Avoid oily food, and eat healthy.
- Sleep well, and try to keep stress at a minimum. Sleep deficit and stress can both cause skin problems.
- Use products that are specialized for your skin type. For women facing skin issues, an acne body wash for women is a godsend.
- If you feel the need, seek advice from a dermatologist.
Disclaimer: This BeautiSecrets article is for informative purposes only and does not in any way attempt to replace the advice offered by an expert on the subject.