Acne is a skin condition which is caused when the sebaceous glands produce sebum excessively. Excess sebum blocks the hair follicles and the pores leading to bacteria build up and the resultant acne. Other causes of acne are certain genetic factors, hormonal imbalances, stress, strong chemicals in cosmetics and allergies from food. Majority of people who suffer from acne, do not depend on any medication to treat it. Instead, they rely on the various natural cures. Many people also vouch for the effectiveness of calamine lotion for acne treatment.
Calamine Lotion Uses
Calamine lotion is a mixture made from combining two ingredients namely zinc oxide and iron oxide. It is pink in color and has a thick, cream-like, consistency. It can be easily purchased over the counter in most of the places. Calamine lotion has many uses.
- Calamine lotion helps to protect and soothe the skin when it is irritated due to various reasons, such as sunburns or insect bites or any other skin infection.
- It helps in reducing the symptoms of skin conditions such as chickenpox and poison ivy. Its regular application can minimize itching on skin to a great extent.
- Application of calamine lotion on acne prone skin, helps to keep it in control. It dries the skin, and hence excess sebum on the skin is sucked out, preventing acne from developing.
- It has anti-bacterial and anti-allergy properties, due to which it fights the bacteria on the skin, which could otherwise cause acne.
- Application of calamine lotion on acne scars fades them considerably too.
How to Use Calamine Lotion
Before setting out to apply calamine lotion, it is very important that you clean the affected area thoroughly. For this, wash the area with a mild soap or a herbal soap, which is well suited for an acne prone skin. If the acne scars are on the face, remember to remove the makeup thoroughly as well. If any trace of makeup, oil or dirt is left on the skin, then application of calamine lotion on the skin might not prove to be so effective. Also, wash the affected skin gently as acne prone skin is often sensitive, and hence, should not be rubbed or handled in a rough manner.
Once the face is cleaned, take a towel and pat dry. Next, take a cotton ball and dab it with calamine lotion. Apply it on the skin area where acne scars are there. The lotion should be applied in such a way that a kind of a thin layer of it should get formed on the affected skin area. Leave the lotion as it is on the skin for the night.
In the morning, remove the dried lotion from the face with cold water and pat dry with a towel. Calamine lotion will be truly effective, provided it is applied every night. It will take approximately a month before the results of applying this lotion will be visible.
Note: The same method which is mentioned above can be used for getting rid of acne as well. The only difference is that prior to applying calamine lotion, apply a bit of an astringent and then follow it up with the lotion.
As you can see, calamine lotion can prove to be very useful for acne cure. However, regular application can make the skin extremely dry. So in order to avoid that, moisturizing the skin with an oil-free moisturizer, is very essential to keep it soft and supple.