Salt scrubs have lately become quite popular among beauty-conscious people. Luxurious spa treatments and beauty sessions use these scrubs to bring out younger-looking skin, that lies underneath the skin surface. Body scrubs are made from bath salts or salts obtained from The Dead Sea. Dead Sea salts are more beneficial for skin because they contain around 80 minerals that the skin can benefit from. People using salt scrubs are able to revive healthier skin because of the several benefits they provide.
Salt Scrub Benefits
- Use of sea salt scrubs result in exfoliation of dead skin cells, that form the upper layer of the skin.
- Scrubbing helps in shedding off hard skin cells that impart a dull and dry look to the skin.
- Aging causes thickening of the dead skin layer. Salt scrubs exfoliate this layer and bring out layers of younger-looking skin.
- They improve blood circulation in the skin. Increased blood flow regenerates skin cells and gives a natural glow to the skin.
- Salt scrubs are known to have antiseptic properties. They are capable of killing skin infection-causing bacteria thereby, relieving pain, inflammation and itching associated with the infection.
- When applied on skin in circular motions, these scrubs remove toxins that have a deteriorating effect on the skin.
- Scrubbing also opens clogged pores that later turn out as skin eruptions.
- Sea salt scrubs can be used to prevent acne formation on acne-prone skin, and minimize the formation of acne in people suffering from it.
- Exfoliation promotes growth of new, healthy cells. New cells that are generated, tighten the skin surface, thereby, reducing wrinkles.
- Problems like skin discoloration and uneven skin tone are also benefited by use of salt scrubs. Skin problems like eczema and psoriasis are treated using these scrubs.
- Minerals present in Dead Sea salts like bromine, sodium, magnesium, potassium, and calcium are absorbed while scrubbing, which help in nourishing the skin.
- Oils incorporated in the salt scrub, polish the skin by minimizing the abrasive effect of scrubbing.
- Massaging with a scrub containing essential oils not only improves the quality of skin, but also provides relaxation. A professional spa therapist can make the overall experience very relaxing for a customer.
- Lastly, one of the most important benefits of salt scrubs is that they are 100% natural.
Salt scrubs can be easily made at home to pamper your skin. Several homemade recipes are available in books or can be found online, that contain few easily available ingredients. Commercial products are also available, but they contain many ingredients that may or may not be healthy for the human body. The fragrance used in the product may have toxic effects on the human immune system. Products containing butylene glycol may cause irritation, endocrine disruption, and/or organ system toxicity. Propylene glycol is sometimes used as an ingredient. According to the Journal of the American Toxicology, animal studies with high doses of propylene glycol resulted in skin irritation, endocrine system disruption, reproductive effects, etc.
Some ingredients incorporated in commercial products are known to have adverse effects on the environment. Increased use of fragrance in commercial products like salt scrubs, etc., are difficult to remove through waste-water treatment. Propylene glycol is also an environmental hazard because it is a petroleum product that is not nature-friendly. Therefore, it is better to use homemade scrubs that have fewer, but safe ingredients. Also, the cost of making scrubs at home is quite less than buying commercially marketed scrubs.
After having a look at all the benefits, I am sure, you are tempted to pamper yourself with it, at least once. These scrubs will never fail to rejuvenate your skin and give you the glow you were always looking for!
Note: Sea salts may not be suitable for people with sensitive skin. A skin patch test should be done to check for adverse effects.