Waxing is certainly one of the best methods to get rid of unwanted body hair. Many people prefer waxing over shaving or using depilatory creams, as the skin feels smooth after waxing. Some of you might be thinking if you could try waxing on your own in the comfort of your home. Though wax and waxing strips are easily available in the market, you could use homemade wax to get rid of unwanted hair. You can easily make wax at home. It is not a tedious job and you don't need to buy many things for making wax. Once you read the list of ingredients, you will know that this DIY project might not even require any trip to the market, as the ingredients will be easily available in your house.
How to Make Wax with Sugar
- Granulated sugar, 2 cups
- Lemon juice, ¼ cup
- Water, ¼ cup
- Take a saucepan. Mix sugar and lemon juice in it.
- Put it on a low flame.
- Make sure you stir the mixture every now and then.
- Turn the flame off once the contents turn into a thick brown-colored liquid.
- Remember that this hot wax can burn your skin, so wait till it cools off.
How to Make Wax with Brown Sugar
- Brown sugar, 1 cup
- Lemon juice, ¼ cup
- Honey, ¼ cup
- Molasses, a pinch
- Cornstarch, a pinch
- Take a saucepan/skillet and mix lemon juice, honey, molasses, and sugar in it.
- You could either put it on a low flame or mix the ingredients and put them into a microwave safe bowl.
- If you are using a microwave, start by pouring the sugar in a microwave safe bowl.
- Mix honey and molasses into it.
- Put this bowl into the microwave for about 3-4 minutes.
- Take the bowl out and add lemon juice into it and stir.
- Now, place the bowl again into the microwave.
- Remove it once the sugar has dissolved completely. Make sure that it has a smooth consistency.
- Use a glass jar to store this mixture.
- Before applying this wax, dust the area with cornstarch.
Before you use this homemade wax for hair removal, make sure that you know the right waxing techniques. Not doing it in the right manner might irritate your skin. Use the following tips so that you don't end up damaging your skin.
- Once you have prepared the wax, let it cool. Use hot water warmers to warm it.
- Check the temperature before applying it on your skin. It should not be scalding/boiling hot.
- Use a butter knife to apply wax. Make sure you apply it in the direction of your hair's growth.
- Place the waxing strip and pull it against the direction of hair growth.
- Thereafter, wash the area with cold water. Wiping it with a damp cloth will also soothe the skin.
- Since waxing can rob the skin off its natural oils, you need to apply a moisturizer to your skin.
- Since wax is sticky, it is advisable to spread an old bed sheet while waxing, otherwise wax might drip all over the place and make it messy.
If you follow the aforementioned instructions, you can get a smooth and hairless skin without going to the parlor. So, make wax at home and use the right waxing techniques to get a smooth and silky skin!