Lemon juice is so versatile that it is commonly used for culinary, cosmetic as well as medicinal purposes. It is equally used for skin and hair care. As far as skin care is concerned, lemon juice is used for making the skin soft and supple. Besides that, it is also widely used as a remedy for acne, stretch marks and freckles. Age spots is another skin problem that is said to be countered with this natural remedy.
What are Age Spots
From the very name of this skin condition, you can infer that it is some kind of spots on the skin. In fact, age spots are flat spots that appear on the skin. These spots can be yellowish brown, black or gray in color and is usually found in middle-aged and older people. Even younger people may develop this condition. These spots usually develop on the face, shoulders, chest and hands. Age spots develop as a cumulative effect of years of sunlight exposure. These spots with irregular size are harmless in nature, but can be unsightly.
However, if they are increasing in size or are changing size, color or texture, you must consult a doctor immediately, so as to rule out the possibility of skin cancer. Otherwise age spots are considered as a sign of aging, which is mainly seen in people, who have exposed themselves to harsh sunlight, over many years. Even liver malfunctioning is said to be a possible cause for this skin condition, which are also known as liver spots. This could be due to buildup of toxins in the body as the liver fails to function properly. Another possible factor for this skin condition is nutritional deficiencies.
So age spots are not harmful or life-threatening, but they can definitely affect your looks. They are more of a cosmetic problem than a health concern. Those with this condition must avoid too much sun exposure so as to prevent further darkening of these spots. Application of sunscreen lotion may also prove useful for this purpose. Nitrogen cryosurgery, electrosurgery and laser treatment are found to be beneficial in treating this skin condition. Even dermabrasion and chemical peel are used for removing these spots. Prescription bleaching creams and other skin lightening products are also used for this purpose. You may also resort to home remedies that may prove useful in combating age spots. Lemon juice is one such remedy that is said to work wonders.
How to Use Lemon Juice for Age Spots
Lemons contain alpha hydroxy acids as well as vitamin C, both of which are believed to be good for the skin. These are commonly found in a wide range of skin care products too. As we all know, lemon juice is a natural skin lightening agent that is used as a remedy for conditions like acne, freckles and stretch marks However, as in case of other such natural remedies, you should not expect instantaneous results. It will take some time for the age spots to fade away with lemon juice application.
- The easiest method is to dab a small amount of the juice on the age spots (daily) and leave it for around ten to fifteen minutes, before rinsing.
- It can be applied on the skin, any time of the day, but it will be better if you do it before bedtime. You may also use a cotton ball to apply this juice and rub it over the spots.
- If you are allergic to lemon, avoid using it. If you suspect any skin reaction, apply a small amount on the inner arm, before using it on the face.
- Refrain from using this home remedy, before you go outdoors. This may make your skin more sensitive.
- Once a week, you may use a mix of lemon juice and sugar granules to scrub the skin. Cut a lemon into halves and dip one half in sugar granules. Gently rub the lemon with sugar, on the affected parts.
- If you don't want to apply the juice directly on the skin, you may mix it with equal amount of yogurt or aloe vera gel. These products are also good for the skin. Even honey can be used for this purpose.
- Once a week, apply a face mask that can be made at home, by mixing equal amounts of lemon juice and milk with enough flour to make a smooth paste.
As mentioned earlier, you may not get noticeable results immediately. It will take at least six to eight weeks of regular use. However, lemon juice is said to work wonders, as far as age spots are concerned. If you find it not useful, it will be better to try some other home remedies or medical treatments.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice. Visiting your physician is the safest way to diagnose and treat any health condition.