Eyeliners come in different forms, like liquid eyeliners, cake eyeliners, pencil eyeliners, etc. Since it is a topical application, it can get smudged due to crying, rubbing the eyes, perspiring, etc. Moreover, some people have allergies to the ingredients used in such beauty products. If you line your eyes on a regular basis with liquid eyeliner or kohl, you should give a thought on getting a permanent eyeliner tattoo done. Here's information on the procedure, the pros and cons, and the aftercare of eyeliner tattooing.
What is an Eyeliner Tattoo
An eyeliner tattoo, as the name suggests, is the permanent lining of the eyes by tattooing. Sometimes, it is also referred to as micro tattooing or cosmetic tattooing. Applying topical eyeliners enhances the look of your eyes by giving a defined shape to your eyes. An eyeliner tattoo is a great method to give permanent definition to your eyes. If you do not like the natural shape of your eyes, you can always get the desired shape with the help of such a tattoo. It not only enhances the look of your eyes, but also improves the overall look of your face.
Now, let us take a look at the procedure of getting such a tattoo. It is quite easy, and involves the following steps:
- Before starting the tattooing process, a patch is applied on your skin to check if you are allergic to the pigment used for tattooing.
- Then, you have to select the color for your eyeliner tattoo, which can be carved in brown, blue or any other color of your choice.
- The main process starts with numbing the skin around the eyes, and a topical cream is applied for this purpose.
- With the help of a sterile needle, the tattoo pigment is inserted around the eyes. You can have a permanent tattoo either on the lower eyelids, or the upper eyelids, or both.
It is necessary to follow the aftercare instructions to preserve the beauty of the tattoo.
- You may experience swelling and discomfort soon after getting the tattoo. The intensity, however, completely depends on the way the artist has tattooed your eyes.
- It is recommended that you avoid any painkiller for at least 48 hours after getting the tattoo. To reduce the discomfort caused under the eyelids, you can apply cool compress.
- Avoid scratching under the eyes until the wound heals completely.
- Apply vitamin E lotion to reduce the itchiness, and sunscreen lotions to avoid fading of the tattoo due to exposure to sunlight.
- You should not apply any cosmetic product until the tattoo heals completely.
Here are the advantages of getting an eyeliner tattoo.
- Once you get this tattoo, you will not have to worry about uneven application of liquid eyeliners, or smudges and smears.
- There are various thicknesses available in eyeliner tattoos, and you can get the thickness you desire.
- With a permanent eyeliner tattoo, you can swim or roam in the sun without the fear of smudging around the eyes.
- It is a good option for those who cannot apply the liquid eyeliner properly, due to shaky hands.
- People who are allergic to cosmetic products can safely go for permanent eyeliner tattoos.
- An eyeliner tattoo is not limited to black alone, and one can get it in various shades of different colors.
Eyeliner tattoo has its own share of disadvantages too, which are as follows.
- One of the biggest disadvantages is that the darkness of the tattoo fades with time.
- Moreover, once you get a permanent eyeliner tattoo, it's removal is very difficult and painful.
- Many people have experienced scabbing of the tattoo, that spoils the natural look of the eyes.
- You cannot completely rely on the permanent eyeliner tattoo for defining your eyes, and you may have to apply topical eyeliner anyway to enhance the look.
Usually there are no complications, but since the tattooing is to be done on a sensitive area, i.e. the eyes, there are some risk factors associated with it. For permanent makeup, such as eyeliner tattooing, it is always wise to approach a licensed beauty clinic. One must cross check whether the approached professional has done such tattooing previously. Risk of developing side effects increases if the tattoo is done by an untrained professional. Checking the previous records of the professional can ensure his/her skills.
The cost of getting an eyeliner tattoo done, depends upon the thickness of the tattoo, and the color used for the same. So, before making your final decision of getting an eyeliner tattoo, make sure that you have researched well for all the required information.